Browns lose to Steelers as Johnny Manziel watches from the sideline

If the Browns didn’t see the need for Manziel this Sunday, who knows when they will.

After the most highly anticipated preseason in the history of the Cleveland Browns, Johnny Manziel lost the starting quarterback job.

Nevertheless, he still was expected to play this past Sunday.

Reports before week one showed Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau and coach Mike Tomlin apparently taking measures to prepare for Manziel. Also, when questioned about Manziel getting some time on the field, Browns offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said the backup would be used in sub-packages during the opener.

However, the Browns fell 30-27 in Pittsburgh, dropping yet another opening day game — they haven’t won an opener since 2004 — and Johnny Football stood out of bounds with a baseball cap on for the entirety of the game.

Browns coach Mike Pettine said about his decision to not play Manziel that, “The way the game went we just never felt the need for him.”  

In the second half, the up-tempo offense of the Browns helped rally and finish drives, so it made sense the coaches didn’t want to slow Hoyer’s roll. This shouldn’t have dismissed the option for Manziel to play in the first half, however, the Browns could’ve used any type of alteration to spice up an offense that was clearly struggling.

The Steelers also gave up 183 net rushing yards to Cleveland, so having an extra rushing threat on the field like Manziel definitely wouldn’t have hurt.

With Cleveland looking to finally improve and develop consistency in their organization, perhaps Johnny Football is seen as the future of the franchise to the coaching staff. If the Browns wanted to try to make a splash since they knew a suspension for Josh Gordon was looming, they could have avoided trading up and possibly taken a big-body receiver like Kelvin Benjamin, a 6-foot-5, 240 lb. frame for Brian Hoyer to target.

For the record, Benjamin recorded six receptions for 92 yards and a touchdown, aiding the Panthers to their first victory Sunday.

Possessing Manziel’s bottled up high-profile persona, the Browns had to have known what they were getting into. CBS will continually flash the camera towards him during breaks in play and the media will continually follow him with anything he says or does (like party with beautiful women or hang out with LeBron and Drake).

I’m not saying Manziel is doing anything wrong, because his job is to show up to practice and play when called upon. This is just a lot for a struggling organization to take in, all for a backup. I’m not saying Manziel should have started this past weekend. I’m not even saying he should play a drive next week, but it makes you wonder why they drafted him in the first round if he might not even see the field for one or two plays a game.

nk596613@ohio.edu

@NKairys