Editorial: Respect is key in expressing one's opinion

We stand up for Christian fundamentalists' right to express their opinions in a peaceful manner. The same goes for students who are looking to do the same.

Fundamentalist Christian protesters assumed their usual post outside Baker University Center for the first time this academic year Thursday, using microphones and loudspeakers to inform students of their anti-homosexual views.

The protestors were met by a sizable group — roughly 25 students — who voiced their dissent of such opinions.

Although we aren’t in a position to comment on the fundamentalists’ personal views, we feel that it is important to remind students that the right to express your opinion — no matter how hated it may be — is one of the most important rights we are entitled to as Americans.

We stand up for these fundamentalists’ right to express their opinions in a peaceful manner. The same goes for students who are looking to do the same.

This topic ties in to the news of the day: Student Senate President Megan Marzec’s “ALS Ice Bucket Challenge,” in which she dumps a bucket of fake blood over her head in protest of Ohio University’s relationship with Israel.

It’s important to remember that Marzec’s message is not the issue at hand. It’s how she chose to express that message.

Marzec is entitled to share her opinion about the Israel-Palestine conflict openly, in a public forum, whether her opinion offends people or not. But she should not use her platform as senate president to push those views, as we expressed in our editorial on Thursday.

We’re confident that the protesters will be back again soon, and we imagine that Marzec will continue to stand by her beliefs about the Israel-Palestine conflict.

After all, their goals are similar to ours: To spread our opinion about issues that matter to us. And we encourage others to do the same — in a respectful, responsible manner, speaking only for oneself.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post's executive editors.