Editorial: Yik Yak: Don’t use to abuse

As The Post reported yesterday, the newly-popularized Yik Yak mobile application offers Ohio University students — and many others across the nation — the chance to anonymously post whatever they please in an easy-to-use, hyperlocal app.

With more than 3,400 users on campus, the idea clearly resonates with OU students.

While we take no issue with the idea of students being able to post their thoughts without having to think twice about job prospects or lurking parents, the seemingly harmless app can have a dark side.

Being able to post whatever you desire without having to attach your name is a lot of power, and it has led to criminal charges and cyberbullying complaints elsewhere, our reporting uncovered.

A quick scroll through the app Tuesday evening led us to derogatory posts about students, in some cases using their full names. Other posts are highly sexualized, racist or just downright mean.

Such posts might be written in jest — or with good intentions — but there are some that cross the line. There’s nothing wrong with good, clean fun, but it’s not cool to use anonymity to bully and degrade others.

Simply put: There is no need to be attacking our fellow Bobcats. If you feel the need to tear another student or faculty member down, settle the score face-to-face, or at the very least do it on a forum with your name attached.

Don’t ruin a good outlet by flooding it with hate. We’re better than that.

Yak away, Bobcats.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.