Freshman Maria Russell is one of seven freshmen new to the Women's Field Hockey team.

Field Hockey: Ohio grabs first win with one-goal victory against Ohio State

In the midst of a defensive stalemate, freshman Megan Silveira broke the game wide open when she scored her first collegiate goal with 17 minutes left on the clock.

The scramble in front of the net was met by a quick shot from Silveira, who lended a hand in Ohio’s first win of the season.

“It was amazing,” Silveira said. “(There) was a big scramble in front of the net and I was just the lucky one to put the touch on, but it was completely team to build it up to get to that point. Any one of us could’ve put it in, it was just unreal it was me.”

The Bobcats would hold on to their lead after numerous corners by the Buckeyes and a critical save by Brittany Walker towards the end of the second half.

Walker had a one-on-one with a Buckeye forward, as the senior dove and saved a game-tying attempt with just about a minute left.

“I was really nervous,” Walker said, laughing. “With goalkeeping it’s all about timing. If you go, you gotta go. You gotta go with your instincts and that’s all I went with — my instincts. I had a feeling she was going to pass it wide and I was just praying my team was right there in behind.”

According to Walker, she barely tipped the ball out of projection — a play that could, in hindsight, be a turning point in Ohio’s season.

The first half saw both teams gridlocked, as both put two shots out of play each.

Ohio’s defense and back line was very effective against Ohio State’s forwards, as the Buckeyes had no shots on goal after 35 minutes.

The dramatic victory now gives Ohio its first win of the season after starting the campaign 0-3. The last time the Bobcats defeated the Buckeyes was in 2011, the same season that the Bobcats won the Mid-American Conference Championship and advanced to the NCAA Tournament.

Macmillan said that the Bobcats finally started to gel after being shut-out twice in their first three games.

“The overall thing is that we got a great win under our belt,” Macmillan said, “An Ohio team beating an Ohio State doesn’t happen very often, so it’s something we have to enjoy for a little bit.”

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu