Statement released by OUPD Chief Andrew Powers.

Four students arrested at Student Senate Meeting

Ohio University Police Department Chief Andrew Powers told The Post that four students were arrested at Wednesday night's Student Senate meeting in Walter Hall.

OUPD officers escorted Bobcats for Israel President Becky Sebo out of the Student Senate meeting Wednesday night.

Rabbi Danielle LeShaw, who went with the arrested students to OUPD's station, told The Post they were charged with a fourth degree misdemeanor for disturbing a lawful meeting. 

The four students arrested and charged were Maxwell Peltz, 20; Rebecca Sebo, 22; Gabriel Sirkin, 20; Jonah Yulish, 19.

They are scheduled to appear in Athens Municipal Court Thursday morning at 9:30 a.m.

In Ohio, if convicted, such a charge can carry a maximum sentence of up to 30 days in jail, and a $250 fine.

All the arrested students have been released, according to an OUPD clerk.

Read past Post coverage of the "blood bucket challenge" here.

Student Senate President Megan Marzec was emphatic in her support of Palestine at the meeting. "I will never apologize for standing with the people of Palestine," she said.

Student Speakout, the period at the beginning of each meeting where anyone can speak publicly about an issue concerning them, ended more than an hour and fifteen minutes after senate began. Senate will now move on to regular business; many students left after speakout ended.

Wednesday's meeting kicked off with yelling and confrontation between two groups supporting and opposing Marzec.

Shouting ensued as Sebo began the meeting with a speech calling for Marzec's resignation. Bobcats for Israel, a pro-Israel advocacy group, called for Marzec's resignation at last Wednesday's meeting after the video of her pouring fake blood on herself went viral.

Chaos ensued from there, with various individuals, including senate members, challenging others who were speaking for and against Marzec. Twitter has lit up with photos and comments of what's happening inside the meeting at Walter Hall. 

— Joshua Lim, Sam Howard, Alisa Warren and Maygan Beeler contributed to this report.

— — — —

The Post has several reporters and photographers at tonight's meeting of Ohio University Student Senate, as Megan Marzec's supporters and detractors crowd the meeting. 

Live coverage can be found at @ThePostCampus and in this story.

Follow along for live coverage, and participate in the conversation on Twitter and in the comment section below. 

Correction: This article previously misstated the number of students arrested. Four were arrested, not five.

Questions, comments or concerns? Email editor@thepostathens.com