Friday is the last day to waive optional student fees

Students who waive certain fees might spend less, but campus officials argue paying the fees supports services that students need.

Those fees include a fee for student health insurance, the Center for Student Legal Services and a WellBeing fee. All of these fees must be waived by Friday, Sept. 12.

OU sent students three emails reminding them about waiving the student health insurance, and three others regarding the WellBeing and legal fees, said Anna Wenning, OU’s student health insurance administrator, in an email.

This semester, the Wellbeing fee is $60; the legal services fee is $12; and a general undergraduate rate for the student health insurance is $818 a semester.

Though the prices for the legal and WellBeing fees have stayed consistent during the past six years, the health insurance has increased each year for the past six years.

The insurance must be waived annually; the Wellbeing and legal fees must be waived each semester.

All Athens campus students registered with at least five or more credits are required to have medical insurance, either provided from their parents, their own plan or OU.

More than 4,200 students were enrolled in OU’s insurance plan last year, Wenning said.

“Since last year, I have worked with the student senates to combine the regional campus policy with the Athens campus policy,” she said. “We have already seen an increase in enrollment for fall semester.”

The $60 WellBeing fee is not insurance, but acts as a discount for services provided by Campus Care and OU’s Counseling and Psychological Services, according to OU’s Student Health services.

The legal fee funds services provided by the Center for Student Legal Services, a law office for OU students. The $12 fee provides legal service to students who pay the fee, including help with lease agreements, automobiles and under-age drinking charges, said Stephanie Layton, the center’s office manager.

If students require legal services and are not enrolled in the service, they will be charged a consulting fee, Layton added.

Legal Services determines the pricing for the legal fee, and the WellBeing fee is approved by Student Senate, said Chad Barnhardt, assistant dean of students, in an email.

“The Student Health Insurance Plan is priced based on responses to the public request for proposal process and feedback from Graduate Student Senate and Student Senate,” he added.

Students can waive all three fees by logging onto their MY OHIO Student Center and selecting the “Waive Optional Fees” tab in the Finances section.