David Zucker, a freshman general business major, grabs some food as Roger Josephson, an OU alumnus, follows behind for Rosh Hashanah in Baker University Center Ballroom.

Jewish community welcomes new year with traditional ceremonies

Multiple Rosh Hashanah services occur throughout the week.

The Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanah, does not have someone from New York City narrating the night, but it does share similar traditions to the night when the ball drops in Times Square.

Rosh Hashanah or “head of the year,” approached Wednesday at sundown as people of the Jewish faith gathered to say goodbye to another year.

More than 100 attended the service on Wednesday night, which was held in the Baker Multi Purpose room, where a Rosh Hashanah dinner was held beforehand. Peers and family blissfully sat with one another through traditional music and prayer. 

The night is an opportunity for many traditions. A shofar, or a ram’s horn, is played to call upon repentance. Someone also reads from “Machzor,” a book used during the High Holidays of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur.

Hillel at Ohio University is holding a, “High Holy Day,” service Thursday morning at 10:30 a.m. on the second floor of Baker in the multipurpose room. After the service, they will perform a ritual called Tashlikh, which translates to, “casting off.”

“The Tashlikh involves tossing bread into a moving water which symbolically carries sins away,” said Lauren Goldberg, Assistant Director of Hillel at OU.

This will take place at Emereti Park next to Clippinger Laboratories after Thursday morning’s service, which the group will walk to together. The bread, from Wednesday night’s dinner, is a tradition.

After attending Wednesday’s service, Jemma Marens, a sophomore studying pre-social work, says her goal for the New Year is to try and be more patient and unify the campus.

Rosh Hashanah kicks off several events that will continue through October.

Shabbat dinner will be held on Friday followed by a 6 p.m. service at Hillel.

@mini_fezz

mf736213@ohio.edu