Reading day to be benificial to students

A reprieve from fall semester academic fatigue is coming to •Ohio University students for the first time this year on •Friday, Oct. 3rd in the form of a short “fall break” dubbed Reading Day.

A reprieve from Fall Semester academic fatigue is coming to Ohio University students for the first time this year on Friday in the form of a short “fall break” dubbed “Reading Day.” 

Reading Day was designed last spring and will not require a makeup session.

Though classes will not be in session, administrative offices and university operations including Alden Library, Baker University Center, Ping Center and dining halls will remain open, according to a previous Post article.

For this reason, student workers employed by the university will still be required to report to their scheduled shifts.

“Reading Day will not be for reading, it will be a break from studying; a mental break,” said Katie Harmon, a sophomore studying applied nutrition.

“Almost universally, Ohio University students welcome the opportunity to catch up on work and rest during the middle of the fall semester,” said OU President Roderick McDavis. “We look forward to the benefits that it will afford students –– both in terms of academics and overall well-being.”

But the break may not be beneficial for everyone. Lucky’s bartender Matt Winters, an OU senior studying screenwriting, said he’s afraid for the bar rush he expects Thursday and Friday.

“It’s probably going to be slammed,” Winters said, adding that he thinks bar patrons will start wetting their whistles early on in the weekend.

Jon Oberlin, manager at The Crystal, said Thursday will probably bring in as much traffic as a typical weekend night, but he’s worried about cash flow for the rest of the weekend.

“Students may be going home for the weekend,” Oberlin said. 

@mayganbeeler

mb076912@ohio.edu

@emilybohatch

eb346012@ohio.edu