S-090914_volleyball

In their second match of the day, Ohio shined against Virginia Tech showing it was the more dominant team on the floor and won the Baymont Inn and Suites Invitational.

There was no sign of fatigue as the Bobcats powered through the Hokies in a four set victory. This was Ohio’s most complete game of the tournament as everything seemed to work for the Bobcats — they defeated Virginia Commonwealth earlier in the day after losing to Texas Tech on Friday.

After losing a tough back and forth third game to Virginia Tech, the Bobcats and Hokies fought for control of the fourth set. With the score 9-8 Ohio, the Bobcats finally grabbed control of the game going on an 11-1 to take a commanding 20-10 lead.

A couple of key blocks from junior middle blocker Karin Bull and senior middle blocker Hannah Burkle broke Virginia Tech for good. The Bobcats also recorded three of their six service aces in the final set to cruise to a 25-14 set win.

It wasn’t all easy for Ohio as down 19-12 in the second set the Bobcats had to find a way to battle back. With junior libero Meredith Ashy at the service line Ohio went on a 7-0 run to tie the game. The Bobcats went on to win the set 25-22 stunning the Hokies.

“That’s a team defining kind of moment there because they didn’t panic,” coach Deane Webb said. “We just worked our way through it, worked our way back in … that second set gave us a lot of confidence.”

Senior outside hitter Kelly Lamberti carried over her form from the VCU game as she compiled a team high 20 kills accounting for a third of the team’s 60 kills.

Bull finished with nine kills, herself, as Webb’s higher tempo offense along with junior setter Abby Gilleland’s service has really benefited Ohio’s middle blockers as of late.

The Bobcats finished the Baymont Inn & Suites Invitational with a record of 2-1, but more importantly they improved in each game they played. This was a successful stint at home before the Bobcats once again hit the road.

“It was really good competition all around,” Ashy said. “VCU was great competition. Texas A&M was a great match. I wish we could have pushed a little bit harder and got a game or two out of it or even have won the match, but I’m glad they all came out. Now we're looking forward to the next tournament ahead.”

@kovarandrew

ak840511@ohio.edu