Sports Column

Sports Column: Don’t turn your back on the MLB quite yet

The giant that is the NFL has swept the nation head over heels since the season began with many controversies and scandals.

The giant that is the NFL has swept the nation head over heels since the season began with many controversies and scandals, directing most media attention on crimes and poor behavior of players and management struggling to keep players out of a negative spotlight. 

While all that has been occurring, Major League Baseball is seeing one of the most interesting postseason races in recent memory. 

There are close battles for the remaining positions in the October Classic and the end of the career of one of the most influential athletes of all time, Derek Jeter, is coming to a close. For the rest of the season, teams across the MLB are battling for the Wild Card positions and chances to clinch division titles. 

If any baseball fan was to look at the current MLB playoff picture, he or she might be shocked to see a lack of familiar teams. 

Gone are the days of the Red Sox and Yankees battling atop the American League East, while the Royals are aiming to make their first return to the playoffs since winning the World Series in 1985. 

Baltimore is the hottest team in baseball and just clinched the AL East. Even teams like the Mariners are flirting with a bid to play in October. 

Although my beloved Rockies are not in the playoff picture, as a fan of the game, I am excited to see what teams like the A’s and the Nationals do. 

This has to be one of the most fun postseason chases fans have seen in a long time. 

This is the new life baseball needed. It is the combination of teams that show that even if you do not have the highest payroll or the biggest market, you can put together a team that will play together as a unit, not for a bigger paycheck. 

This season will also mark the end of baseball legend Derek Jeter. 

Jeter has been one of the biggest names in baseball over the course of his career, as well as being one of the most influential athletes in the world of sports. He has been doing a retirement tour all season, and the game will be different when the captain steps off the field for the last time. 

These changes in baseball will bring new life and should reignite the popularity of teams in areas like Kansas City and should lead to a new era of baseball — one that instead of being led by Jeter’s Yankees, could be fueled by Mike Trout of the Angels or a team like the Oakland A’s that focuses on the fundamentals and of course, getting on base. 

ph553412@ohio.edu 

@PaulHolden33