Penni AlZayer lives in a Victorian style home in McArthur, Ohio. She fell in love with the steampunk style after finding images online. Here, she poses for a portrait at Final Fridays on the Square in Nelsonville, Ohio on Friday, August 29, 2014. 

Steampunk takes to the stage

Learn all about steampunk, a blend of the Victorian era and modern technology, this weekend for the second Steampunk Spectacle. 

Though the 1999 Will Smith film Wild Wild West failed critically, it succeeded in providing a visual showcase for the steampunk subculture.

As a type of science fiction, steampunk combines the Victorian era with modern and steam-powered technology and even has origins in the works of Jules Verne.

To celebrate a passion for this fantastical world, the Athens County Public Library is holding its second Steampunk Spectacle this weekend.

“I think it may be better than last year. Its success inspired us to do more ambitious things,” said Todd Bastin, adult programming coordinator for the Athens Public Library.

The weekend kicks off at ARTS/West, 132 W. State St. with a steampunk ballet, steampunk-themed vendors and a gallery that will be displayed for the entire month.

“I really like the aesthetic of steampunk,” said Kelly Lawrence, events coordinator at ARTS/West. “It’s futuristic but it has this antique feel to it. … A lot of amazing pieces have been given to us. There’s photography, sculptures, digital drawings.”

From making a pair of “fanciful goggles” to a Nikola Tesla wireless capacitor, Saturday will feature many hands-on activities as the library holds several presentations and workshops throughout the day. Other activities include Victorian parlor games and a presentation on the actual rebuilding of an early 20th century steam locomotive.

Bastin said he is very excited to host the spectacle again because the genre peaks the interests of all age groups.

“At a table last year, there were people in their 70s, kids, college students and community members all laughing and talking together,” he said. “That’s a very rare phenomena in our culture.”

A key difference for this year is the presence of a steampunk club, called Airship Athena, which began because of the first Steampunk Spectacle. The group gathers together to share ideas, create steampunk projects like crafts or costumes and even compete against other Airships in steampunk symposiums.

“It’s great having a group that is on the same wavelength,” said Ryan Spellman, first mate of Airship Athena. “I love how open it is. … Historical reenactments are restrictive, but in steampunk there’s time travel and all sorts of things you can add to it. It’s very heavy on do-it-yourself culture.”