Students gather at Hillel to discuss film

In light of recent events, Hillel showed a documentary about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict Wednesday night.

Across campus from the Ohio University Student Senate meeting Wednesday night, about 15 people gathered at Hillel to watch a documentary focusing on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

The documentary, “Two Sided Story,” unintentionally coincided with the time set for the senate meeting, but consciously aimed to shed new light on the conflict, which has been a primary source of discord at recent senate meetings, said Lauren Goldberg, Hillel’s office administrator and engagement professional.

The documentary attaches personal experiences from both Israelis and Palestinians to the current conflict. 

“(From this film) we can learn that talking is the most important part about making steps toward a real and lasting and just future,” Goldberg said.

This notion of peaceful discussion set the tone for the evening’s proceedings. Following the documentary, those in attendance stayed for conversation and reflection.

Rabbi Danielle Leshaw wanted the event to be an alternative forum for dialog about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

“In light of discussion over the past several weeks, we want students to gather in a safe environment and feel supported in learning more about conflict in Israel and Palestine,” she said.

Hillel hosts events open to the community every Wednesday evening to encourage conversation. Event themes are often oriented to campus topics and areas of interest.

@mayganbeeler

mb076912@ohio.edu