Gabriel Sirkin, 20, and Jonah Yulish, 19, appear in court with their attorney Samuel Weiner. 

Two students arrested at OU Student Senate appear in court

Students arrested for speaking out against Marzec keep innocence plea.

Two of the Ohio University students arrested after protesting at an OU Student Senate meeting earlier this month appeared in Athens County Municipal Court Wednesday morning.

Gabriel Sirkin, 20, and Jonah Yulish, 19, didn’t change their innocence pleas during a combined 8 a.m. pretrial hearing, but waived their rights to a speedy trial. Judge William Grim said that meant any possible trial wouldn’t have to come within 45 days of their arrest. 

He added that he’d like to resolve the cases before the end of this year.

Sirkin and Yulish are both represented by Columbus-based attorney Samuel Weiner and each face a fourth-degree misdemeanor count of disturbing a lawful meeting. That holds a maximum sentence of up to 30 days in jail and a $250 fine.

Weiner and city prosecutor Tracy Meek agreed on another pretrial hearing to be held Oct. 16 at 1:30 p.m.

Judge Grim asked Meek if she would like to try the two students collectively alongside Rebecca Sebo, 22, and Maxwell Peltz, 20, who also were arrested after protesting OU Student Senate President Megan Marzec and her “blood bucket” challenge video. They face the same charges and each have a pretrial hearing set for Oct. 7.

But Meek said “at this point ... we’re not to a trial discussion yet.”

She said she wants to wait for the Ohio University Police Department to gather more evidence before making that decision.

“I’m sure there are lots of videos floating around out there,” Meek said. “I’m sure there were lots of cell phone videos made.”

Weiner declined to comment after the hearing.

@_suhyeonpark

sp317712@ohio.edu