Adam Wonderly

AFC North Nation: AFC North teams could compete for Super Bowl

Don’t be surprised if someone from the AFC North makes it to the Super Bowl; the league is up for grabs.

Let’s talk about where the AFC North division stands among the other divisions in football. The Bengals are the top team in the AFC North, but have been plagued by injuries, and after an abysmal performance against the Patriots last Sunday, I’d say the stock of the division dropped.

The AFC North isn’t a bad division, but they don’t seem to have the luster that the other divisions have. The Bengals were making the case that they were leading a strong division, but dropped the opportunity to prove it against the Patriots. The Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers are in the same boat, and with a middle-of-the-road record at 3-2, they aren’t doing much to stand out. The Cleveland Browns are acting like the same old Browns, at an even 2-2, although they did have an impressive comeback win Sunday over the Tennessee Titans.

One of the most surprising turns of events this year has been the NFC East, especially since the Dallas Cowboys have been on a four-game winning streak and are tied with the Philadelphia Eagles for first place. Despite having two teams with a 4-1 record, I still don’t think that makes them the best division in football.

I think the best teams in the NFL are coming out of the western conferences in their respective divisions. The NFC West — a division that has gained popularity over the past couple of years for its stingy defenses and playoff appearances — looks to continue being the best division in football this year. The Arizona Cardinals, Seattle Seahawks and San Francisco 49ers all have a legitimate shot at going to the Super Bowl. Always remember that defense wins championships, and the NFC West has the cream of the crop.

The AFC West is a gunslinger division. With Philip Rivers and Peyton Manning leading their respective teams — and the Kansas City Chiefs not far behind — the San Diego Chargers and Denver Broncos are making a case that they are one of the top divisions in football. The Broncos are a favorite coming out of this division, but I don’t think they are going to have as much success as they had last year. Unlike the Seahawks, I don’t see the Broncos returning to the Super Bowl.

So, can I see any team from the AFC North actually making it to the Super Bowl? Yes. I can see three teams getting there: the Bengals, Ravens and Steelers are all viable candidates. The Bengals first need to learn what it’s like to play in a big game and not run away and hide when something goes wrong. But, they have the best shot out of this division. The Ravens will need to show up and play more consistently. They’re unpredictable, so it’s like you don’t know what the team will look like on the field each week. I didn’t think I’d say this about the Steelers at the beginning of the year, but if they keep up a nice offensive attack between Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown, and Le’Veon Bell, they’ll continue to show up in big games. If the Steelers manage to stay healthy, they could be poised to make a nice postseason run.

Adam Wondrely is a senior studying creative writing and journalism. Which division do you think is the best in the NFL? Email him at aw922910@ohio.edu