Campus Chatter

Campus Chatter: The dread of group projects

Maria Fischer observes why group projects can sometimes turn into a stressful situation

When professors hand out their syllabi at the start of the semester, the first thing I do is flip to the course schedule. 

Two tests? Okay, I can handle that.

A five-page midterm paper? Not too bad.

Group project? Cue the feeling of utter dread.

Though I consider myself social in nature, I despise group projects. I understand that group assignments prompt social interaction and teach students how to work productively with others, but they serve better purposes in high school or middle school settings where students have similar schedules and routines.

Unlike the rigid seven-hour school days of high school, college students have the opportunity to create a schedule that works best for them. For students that are morning people, 8 a.m. classes are a great way to get the day started. For students that work best at night, a block class that starts at 6:30 p.m. might be the best option.

But what happens when two students with completely opposite schedules are assigned to work together on a project?

As a person who thrives on order and routine, I am filled with apprehension when group projects pose a challenge to my perfectly crafted schedule. Signing up for the maximum courseload and participating in three clubs is a lot, but when I committed to these classes and activities, I knew exactly how and when I could get everything done. When a group project is assigned, I am forced to move around my busy schedule while also keeping other students’ equally packed agendas in mind.

I then find myself in a dilemma: When I put too much trust in my group to get the project done, I am risking my grade. Take over too much of my group’s work on my own time, and I end up doing the whole project myself.

Yet, many professors and students find that the benefits of group assignments outweigh these momentarily stressful downsides. An article from USA Today College explains that group projects work as a way to “develop your leadership abilities while also providing an opportunity to show you are capable of working as part of a team.” These skills are essential to acquire, as most students plan to work in an office setting where communication is key.

Ohio University senior Taylor Lykins said she appreciates the opportunity to work and interact with her fellow classmates.

“I have a professor who says group work is about knowing the people you are in class with, not just throwing together a project,” Lykins said. “I like that group projects allow me to get to know some of the students I have taken classes with for four years but never really had a chance to meet.”

While I can see how group assignments are beneficial, I believe that my high school and middle school years sufficiently taught me how to work and cooperate with my peers. 

Now that I am in college and my schedule is jammed packed — and my grades are more important than ever — I wish group projects would be a thing of the past.

Maria Fischer is a junior studying journalism. Email her at mf628211@ohio.edu