Campus Counselor

Campus Counselor: Flu season strikes again

Olivia Hupp gives ways to stay healthy as flu season approaches.

It’s that time of year, Bobcats.

The sun has taken a break, the rain has set in and so has a myriad of nasty illnesses.

After spending six hours in O’Blenness last week diagnosing a friend with an upper respiratory infection and waking up on Monday feeling like death, I’ve written a short PSA about keeping yourself healthy during flu season.

Unless you are extremely health conscious year-round, your immune system is likely suffering from the summer-to-fall transition, and likewise from fall to winter. Now is the time where vitamin intake is important, especially vitamin C. Maybe you have been blessed with an insanely resistant immune system. I, however, am not that lucky.

My family swears by the preventative supplement, Airborne. It’s useful if you don’t feel like spending large amounts of money on a bunch of different vitamins. It packs a lot of vitamin C to support your immune system so you’re not prone to every sickness. You also won’t have to fear sitting in a desk that’s been touched by hundreds of people each week.

There’s a lot of germs out there, folks. Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer.

Also remember to stay hydrated and get a decent amount of sleep. Drinking water or juice is a no-brainer, but lack of sleep can also negatively impact your immune system’s ability to fight infection. 

Stay safe out there.

OLIVIA HUPP is a senior studying English literature and creative writing. Email her at oh994610@ohio.edu