Cultural Anime-tions: Survey aims to see if the Internet makes a difference in regard to anime

I put out a survey on Facebook recently, asking how people in decades past bonded over anime if there was no technological middle man. Does the internet even make a difference? The point was to see the relationship between anime fans and the Internet, and the connection they felt to others because of the Internet. I got varied answers to the questions I asked, but one answer remained constant: even though fandoms have always existed, it was the Internet that gave rise to huge, world-wide fandoms.

Before the Internet, we had, as one person commented, little groups of people huddled together discussing their obsessions. You might think of Trekkies when you think of old fandoms, but with the Internet, everything is a mere Google search away. Before, there were anime conventions. Maybe that’s one thing that hasn’t changed. We have our own club going to Katsucon, a convention in Washington, D.C. People even travel to huge conventions in California, which is only possible because of Internet connectivity.

One question I asked was whether the world seemed smaller because everything is just a click away. Most people said no. In fact, the thought is that our anime fandoms highlight how large the world really is. Anime and manga can bring people together all over the world. Speaking from experience, I know someone on Tumblr who gets paid to translate doujinshi (fan-made comics) into English. There is high demand for translations not only in English, but in French, Spanish, Russian and German. Animes and mangas help us learn more about Japanese culture.

Generally speaking, fandoms makes people feel as though they are a part of something big and important. Even if they don’t contribute, they follow writers and artists in the fandom and they know that there are millions or others who enjoy the same things they do.

Anime is something to talk about. A media studies major at OU who took my survey said he’s able to critically analyze the meanings of the shows. I think that it’s important to be able to speak without fear about your interests. Another person who took the survey had thoughts similar to my own. The person censors herself and doesn’t connect with anyone in Athens over her appreciation of anime because it’s “nerdy.” I’m like that, and often don’t want to talk about my nerdy interests for fear that others won’t understand and will make judgements without even trying to understand.

The internet, however, is anonymous, and therefore safe.  I would like to say that many people have found a great connection within JMAGE and are able to talk about their interests on a public forum. But some, like myself, still can’t. But I do believe that we are in the minority.

Fandoms were around before the Internet, but communication with someone on the other side of the world is now just a click away. I believe that many of us have become more culturally aware as a whole — or at least, I hope so — by watching anime and by connecting with others around the world to discuss related topics.

Kirsten Lindsay is a sophomore studying creative writing. Do you read manga or watch anime? Email her at kl840712@ohio.edu.