Editorial: Replacement for treasurer gives hope to senate’s future

At last week’s Student Senate meeting, Zainab Kandeh took over as the treasurer for the recently resigned Carter Phillips. 

In Monday’s edition of The Post, we wrote that Kandeh is looking to overhaul the Senate Appropriations Committee in a similar manner as Phillips had planned. In addition, Kandeh’s ascension to an executive position made this year the first that the top leadership of senate has been composed of three women.

We’re pleased with Kandeh’s new role.

This spring, we endorsed Kandeh — who was running for president on the Action ticket — as a write-in for vice president.

At the time, we wrote that “Kandeh is the ideal person to become the intermediary between Marzec’s bold ideas and the existing senate structure. We think Kandeh, like Marzec, is also running for senate for the right reasons.”

We also said that Kandeh “cares about students and wants to improve their experience at the university. She recognizes the organization is broken and wants it to change, even though her vision isn’t as radical as Marzec’s. But that’s a good thing. We think the combination of Marzec’s vision and mettle with Kandeh’s knowledge and leadership would be the ideal team to lead senate toward substantive change.”

We think that Kandeh will present a unifying voice among senate leaders and she is more than qualified to be treasurer.

The position may not have been what she desired at first, but having her voice at the top table is a positive for both senate and the student body.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.