Headshot

Five pounds of marijuana "in plain view" seized in Athens

Five pounds of marijuana was found and seized in Athens on Tuesday.

An industrious 46-year-old marijuana gardener was arrested Tuesday morning at his home on the south side of Athens.

Raymond Riley already had an active warrant out for his arrest when deputies from Athens County Interim Sheriff Rodney Smith’s Office were called to his residence on Pleasant Hill Road at about 10 a.m.

The warrant was for a contempt of process stemming from Riley’s failure to reinstate his driver’s license and a seatbelt violation both in 2013, according to sheriff records administrator Brynne Morris.

But once Smith’s deputies turned up at Riley’s home, they quickly learned they weren’t only dealing with a fellow refusing to obey a court ruling.

That’s because there were about five pounds of marijuana plants growing “in plain view” from Riley’s backyard, according to a release from Smith’s office.

Riley was arrested pursuant to the warrant, according to the release, but got additional charges tacked on for the cultivation and possession of marijuana in amount more than 1,000 grams but less than 5,000 grams.

Each is a third-degree felony and carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison.

Smith said his deputies heard about the weed operation from a witness tip.

Someone was walking on a sidewalk near Riley’s home and noticed the marijuana plants in the backyard. The individual then called and notified Smith’s deputies.

The primary warrant for Riley’s arrest is “not  accessible,” at this time, according to Smith.

Smith wouldn’t comment further on the incident.

@Fair3julia

jf311013@ohio.edu