Jim Ryan is a senior studying journalism and political science and editor-in-chief of The Post

From The Editor's Desk: 'The Post’ gets back to its roots with 'throwback' front pages

You may have noticed that our front page looks a little different today. 

Per Post tradition, we will be publishing “throwback” front pages this week in celebration of Homecoming Week here at Ohio University. (OK, this is only the third year, but who’s counting?) This year’s cover is modeled after the 1963 Post, which is one of my favorite newspaper fronts from over the years.

I scoured our archives for eye-catching headlines from ’63, and I found a handful of gems:

Girls begin traditional manhunt to find dates for Coed Prom (Feb. 11)

Solitaire, eights, hearts — big deals on campus (Feb. 26)

Whew! Dorm radiators will continue to heat  (April 23)

‘Spitless’ Toledo University takes it in ear (Oct. 10)

To be honest, I still have no idea what that last one means.

If you’re familiar with our Homecoming-Week covers from years past, you’ll notice that we’re doing things a little differently this year by featuring front-page designs reminiscent of OU’s olden days first and working our way toward The Post’s modern look. We did the opposite in the past.

Our Friday edition will feature a classic Green & White design on its back cover.

This will allow those who haven’t seen a print copy of The Post in awhile to see what we’re all about today, all while giving them an extra hint of nostalgia in celebration of Homecoming Week.

Stick with us throughout the week for a bit of Homecoming fun and information about events happening around campus this week. And keep your eye out for us in the university’s annual homecoming parade on Saturday. We’ll be the ones handing out papers and causing a ruckus — all in good homecoming spirit.

As always, thanks for reading. 

Jim Ryan is a senior studying journalism and political science and editor-in-chief of The Post. Let him know what you think of the homecoming front pages. Contact him at jr992810@ohio.edu or on Twitter at @Jimryan015.