Jazz Combo

Jazz Combos I and II perform variety of jazz and new tunes

OU Jazz Combos performing pop-jazz arrangements at Jackie O’s

From standards to pop arrangements of Lana Del Rey songs, jazz will fill the air at Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery for the debut performance of a new Ohio University jazz combo. 

OU’s Jazz Combos I and II are playing at Jackie O’s, 24 W. Union St., at 8 p.m., Sunday night. Jazz Combo I is playing its second show of the year, while it will be Jazz Combo II’s debut performance. 

“There are going to be standards, new tunes and tunes that you know that don’t sound like the tunes you know so it will be sweet,” said Jason Snoddy, a senior studying music education and music performance and a bass player in Jazz Combo II.

A “jazz combo” is generally a smaller jazz ensemble that is based on soloists, said Seth Alexander, a junior studying percussion performance and a percussion player in both groups. 

Jazz Combo II’s debut performance includes arrangements, standards and an original piece by Snoddy.

“It’s a pretty simple tune,” Snoddy said. “It’s nothing too crazy or complex. I just really wanted to write something so I wrote it.”

Two other arrangements by members of the ensemble will be showcased at the gig, including Alexander’s arrangement of “Shades of Cool” by Lana Del Rey.

“Whether it’s a pop tune or another tune we know from a different group that’s not jazz based, we try to make it our own,” Alexander said. “It’s not necessarily jazz in the traditional sense. It’s jazz in the way we want to interpret it.”

Jazz Combo II is also taking on a famous jazz standard with a different kind of harmony and rhythm, “Take Five” by Dave Brubeck, as well as a cover of the standard “Butterfly” by Harvey Hancock, that includes an ’80s funk sound with smooth jazz, said Snoddy.

Jazz Combo I is larger and consists of many freshman while Jazz Combo II includes a vocalist and a few select students who have had experience with jazz before. The new combo was formed only a few weeks into the semester.

After playing as part of the World Music and Dance Festival on Thursday, Jazz Combo I is excited for the chance to make some changes and play again for an audience, said Drew Wright, a senior studying music education percussion and a percussion player in Jazz Combo I. 

“Right now, it’s an interesting dynamic because of the group size,” Wright said. “We’ve got quite a few sax players and quite a large rhythm section for a combo setting. It makes for some interesting setups with the pieces.”

Jazz Combo I focuses on more traditional jazz and is performing the standards “Groove Merchant” by Jerome Richardson, a bluesy piece with a medium tempo, and “Little Sunflower” by Freddie Hubbard, a smooth, subtle Latin piece that will involve congas, Alexander said. 

John Horne, adjunct professor of guitar/jazz studies and conductor of Jazz Combo I, has even arranged pieces for the combo to account for the variety of instruments, Alexander said. 

“We’re all very excited, and a little bit nervous,” Alexander said. “When you get up on Jackie O’s, it’s a totally different feel because you’re not in a small setting in an ensemble room. You’re in front of everyone.”

@lizb143

eb823313@ohio.edu