Dedrick Peterson, of Ann Arbor, Michigan, was a part of the Marching 110 from 2009 to 2013.

Michigan man indicted for rape

A Michigan man who was charged with rape and sexual battery charges regarding 2013 homecoming incident was indicted by Athens County Grand Jury on Tuesday.

A Michigan man was indicted on six counts of rape and three counts of sexual battery charges by the Athens County Grand Jury Tuesday, following an incident that transpired Homecoming Weekend of 2013.

The indictment also states that 31-year-old Dedrick Peterson of Ann Arbor, Michigan knew the victim’s ability to control her conduct was substantially impaired, and that he, “recklessly attempted” or threatened to inflict physical harm on the victim.

Rape is a first-degree felony, while sexual battery is a third-degree felony.

According to the release, both defendant and the victim had connections with OU and were affiliated with the Marching 110.

Josh Boyer, assistant director for the Marching 110, confirmed Peterson was a part of the Marching 110 from 2009-2013.

“They were both band members (at one point) but it was outside of band,” Boyer said. “It’s not a band issue.”

Boyer has said in previous Post articles that the Marching 110 does not condone any harassment or assault, and that the 110’s goal is to create a fun group that’s similar to a family.

Peterson was arrested in Michigan on Oct. 7 on a felony complaint after investigators with the Athens County Prosecutor’s Office travelled to Ann Arbor to interview him.

Peterson waived his right to extradition at the time of his arrest and was initially transported to Washtenaw County Jail. He is currently incarcerated in the Southeast Ohio Regional Jail.

His arrest was following an investigation by the Athens Police Department, which led to a further inquiry by the Prosecutor’s Office Sexual Assault Unit. The prosecutor’s office worked with the Ohio Attorney General’s Bureau of Criminal Investigation to secure additional DNA testing in the case.

An arraignment has been scheduled for 11 a.m. on Oct. 15 with Judge Alan Goldsberry.

This is a developing story. Stick with The Post and follow us on Twitter @ThePost for the latest.