OctOboer

Octoboefest celebrates a an overlooked instrument

Ohio University’s Octoboefest returns once more for oboe related events.

Hed: Music performances to celebrate the Oboe

Webhed: Octoboefest celebrates a an overlooked instrument

Not as common as clarinets or saxophones, the oboe is an often overlooked woodwind instrument.

On Sunday and Monday the double reed will be celebrated during Ohio University’s 4th annual Oktoboefest, two days of diverse music played on the oboe.

“We bring in oboe guest artists and I also perform,” Michele Fiala, associate professor of the oboe, said. “We have masterclasses, performances and events for oboe students, music lovers and for people to get more exposure to an uncommon instrument.”

Anthony Fortuna, a second year graduate student studying woodwind performance/pedagogy and an oboist, said he hopes Oktoboefest brings more awareness to the existence of the oboe and what the instrument is capable of doing.

Sunday includes a guest recital with Johanna Cox, the associate professor of the oboe at Louisiana State University, who will be accompanied by Christopher Fisher, the associate professor of the piano at Ohio University. Fiala said the performance will include a contemporary piece as well as a narrative piece.

The masterclass allows some oboists to play a piece they have been working on as soloists and receive constructive feedback and a new perspective, Ava Jones, a sophomore studying music education and an oboist participating in the masterclass, said.

“It is exciting to hear others’ feedback and such, getting different ways of looking at things,” Fortuna, a performer in last year’s masterclass, said.

On Monday, a faculty recital will include Fiala playing the oboe and Gail Berenson, professor emeritus of piano performance, playing the piano.

Fiala will play music from the baroque period, which started in the 1600s enhanced music performance. She is also playing a new piece by Gilles Silvesterini that is based on the style of Russian composers. Fiala performed the piece in March for the composer and is excited to play it for the first time in Athens, Fiala said.

“(Oktoboefest) should be an enjoyable experience that helps to bring more people into classical music,” Fiala said.

Other events based around the oboe will take place throughout the month of October, including the oboe studio performing on Hallowpalooza, Fiala said.

@lizb143

eb823313@ohio.edu