Joan Engel, a junior studying tuba performance, participates in a group drill to prepare for Octubafest. The event was started at Indiana University by the since-deceased Harvey Phillips in 1974.

Octubafest celebrates music, instrument

Ohio University’s School of Music is providing one month of tuba playing and enthusiasm for the euphonium, taking place all October with Ohio University’s 16th annual Octubafest.

Octubafest is a nationwide celebration for the low brass section, specifically the tuba, and attempts to bring this style of music to a broader audience early in the curriculum. It was started by the late Harvey Phillips in 1974 at Indiana University. Jason Roland Smith, professor of tuba and euphonium, brought the tradition to Ohio University in 1999.  

“Octubafest is a collection of events and recitals,” said Joan Engel, tuba player participating in Octubafest and junior studying tuba performance. “The recitals range from one person giving a solo performance to a small ensemble giving performances to (the) entire tuba-euphonium ensemble giving a performance.”

Engel said there are even explanations given between pieces to give the audience a better understanding of the performances on stage. 

“We try to entertain, but we also try to educate at these concerts,” Smith said.

The first show kicks off on Wednesday at 8 p.m. at Glidden Recital Hall and will feature Smith playing the tuba. Smith will perform solo and also with piano, trombones and other tuba players, Smith said.

The month will also include performances from guest artist Jeremy Lewis playing the tuba, the Scrapmetal Quartet, OhioBrass, Steven Darling on the euphonium and tuba, the tuba-euphonium ensemble with the trombone choir and the Undergrad Quartet.   

Darling, a second-year graduate student studying euphonium performance/brass pedagogy, will be a part of four performances, which will include a representation of different music and styles, Darling said.   

“Both years, I have tried to pick music that I like and also that I think audience members should experience,” Darling said. “Some of it is very easy for audience members to like and listen to, and some of it is more challenging. But I think the whole idea for me, when I pick reps for these Octubafest concerts, is that I want to give an audience member, who may have never heard the instruments before, an idea of all the different kinds of music that has been written for the instruments.”

The tuba has evolved since 1974. Originally, it was not recognized as a solo instrument, but Phillips changed the way many perceived the tuba. Because of Phillips, Smith said, the tuba is greater recognized as a solo instrument and there is a variety of music that tuba players can now perform.

“(Octubafest) is a really great learning experience for ... younger kids who don’t really know this whole idea of a community of tuba players,” Engel said. “It is a celebration of where we have been and where we are going.”

@lizb143

eb823313@ohio.edu