Erin Fischer

Post Secret: Honesty, support systems help students struggling with mental health issues

I’ve been dealing with mental health issues for as long as I can remember. While I’m fortunate to not have any illnesses that severely handicap me, coping with depression, anxiety disorders and an eating disorder can be an uphill battle, as I’m sure many of you know. Throwing college into the mix can make it sometimes feel unmanageable. 

In the past year, I’ve gotten a handle on my issues and have been much better able to deal with them. I used to often fall down the rabbit hole of avoiding every responsibility that I had until I was up to my ears in deadlines and obligations, which would only perpetuate the problem. That still happens to me now, but it happens a lot less often than it used to, and when it does, I’m able to productively deal with it.

Getting to a point of general stability wasn’t easy, but it has made my college days a lot more fun. Here are some of the ways I approached this:

Seeking Therapy: Despite the stigma around it, going to a counselor or therapist is never shameful and can be a great way to understand yourself better and change your behavioral patterns. I’ve been going to therapy consistently for the past three years and it has tremendously helped me understand why I do the things that I do. I recommend therapy to everyone. If individual one-on-one therapy isn’t your thing, consider joining a counseling group.

Knowing Your Limits: I have a tendency to over-commit myself. I want to do as much as I possibly can and be involved in every project that even remotely interests me. This can be counterproductive to my mental health though, as it’s very important that I get enough sleep, have some free time for myself and am able to practice self-care. I know I need these things in order to avoid relapsing into depression, and when I find myself having a full to-do list on a night where I just need to snuggle in bed with Netflix, it usually doesn’t end well. I know how hard it is to not compare yourself to other people, but the fact is that you are yourself. Everyone has different needs. It’s okay to need more time with friends than the next person, or to not be involved in 10 different student organizations. Our culture tends to glorify being busy, but that doesn’t mean you have to.

Being Honest With Yourself and Others: I know how hard it can be to tell other people about your mental health issues, but being as transparent as possible will serve you well. If you have an issue that will cause you to miss class excessively or hinder your performance in some way, let your professors or bosses know as soon as possible. If you have issues around substances, tell friends that you’re not comfortable being around that stuff. Trying to always be perfect isn’t going to get you far.

Create a Support System: No one can deal with all of their problems on their own — you need help! Find friends, mentors, colleagues or family members who you can go to in times of need and who will be there for you, and vice versa. When you’re struggling, reach out to them and allow yourself to accept help. Having people you know you can rely on can save you a lot of grief and take stress off of your plate. 

No one is perfect, and even I don’t take my own advice sometimes, but being as proactive as possible is key.

Erin Fischer is a senior studying women’s and gender studies. Email her at ef102312@ohio.edu.