Erin Fischer

Post Secret: Success possible before graduation

A lot of people know me for my work, in one form or another. I’ve done a lot of activism, feminist advocacy, writing and social media work in the past few years and have not only been paid to work in these areas, but have even been consulted as an expert and recruited by head hunters.

You’re probably going to school to work toward having your dream job (let’s be real, no one comes to college just for the knowledge dissemination), so you’ve likely already been thinking about this topic. There’s also a lot of pressure from external sources to figure out exactly what you want to do for the rest of your life while you’re in college. You probably receive a lot of questions from relatives, friends, colleagues and professors about what you’re working toward. I know, sometimes it feels like the grind is endless.

But as someone who has managed to find success before graduation, I can tell you firsthand that while it might be difficult, career achievement at a young age is not impossible. Plus, working hard now can set you up for a more sustainable future — it’s worth it. Here are my five tips for turning your passion into your career:

Yes, You Might Have to Give Up Some Things: You can’t do it all. If you’re going to be working hard to advance yourself, you won’t to be able to go to every house party or hang out with your friends every night. Time management is one of the most advantageous skills you can have and learning how to maximize your time is key. If you want to hang out with your friends but also need to polish your resume, organize a get-together and you can all give each other pointers, find typos, and help each other organize.

…But You Can Still Have Fun: That doesn’t mean you can’t have a life! I try to designate at least one day a week when I don’t have to do any work or homework so I can decompress and recharge. It’s important to practice self-care and put your personal needs first. The key is to figure out a balance.

Make “Yes” Your Middle Name: One of the best pieces of advice I can give to you is to be a yes man (or woman). If someone gives you an opportunity or asks you to do something, say yes. You can be choosey later down the road, but you never know how you can expand your network and contacts by doing a simple favor for someone.

Ask And You Shall Receive: This saying is often very accurate. I’ve gotten so many opportunities and jobs by simply asking for them. For example, last April I was organizing a campaign for Sexual Assault Awareness Month and was invited to write about my experience for the Huffington Post. After the month was over, I emailed the editor I was working with and asked if I could have a more permanent position and she said yes. Now I’m a regular blog contributor and have a national platform for my work. If I hadn’t asked, my time at HuffPo probably would have been limited to what I contributed in April.

Build a Network: Most jobs are acquired through networking. That’s why it’s so important to let people know you’re on the grid and also use professional opportunities to make new contacts. If you don’t have business cards, make them. Start a personal website to direct people to your work. Go to conferences and networking events to meet other professionals in your field and keep in touch. This will be probably the most important thing you do in college to get a job afterward.

The most important thing you can do is to be ambitious, work hard and have a passion for what you’re doing. Success will soon follow.