Jordan Williams - The Good-isms

The Good-isms: Global activism relevant to students and celebrities

Celebrity activists typically focus on a specific cause that benefits a brand of hardship among humans, but some activists take their fight and attention to a global scale.

Though he still hasn’t won a much-anticipated Oscar, Leonardo DiCaprio takes home the award for one of the greatest philanthropists of our generation. Following a year of earning a fourth Academy Award nomination and winning a second Golden Globe for a lead role, DiCaprio has taken his philanthropic influence to the next level. The actor recently spoke at a United Nations conference to bring the world’s attention to the issue of climate change and the conservation of endangered species. He was later named the UN Messenger of Peace as the “new voice for climate advocacy.”

In just the past week, Netflix announced they are teaming up with DiCaprio to film a new documentary, titled Virunga, which explores the conservation of endangered gorillas in the Democratic Republic of Congo’s Virunga National Park in Central Africa. The documentary is set to begin streaming on Netflix on November 7th, according to a CNN article.

In addition to his upcoming documentary, The Hollywood Reporter reported that DiCaprio donated $2 million as a contribution to ocean conservation.

Ohio University and the city of Athens are home to various groups that benefit the environment. With convenient recycling centers all around campus — including the Alden Library Learning Commons, Ping Center, and Baker University Center — and energy-efficient strategies like the energy-producing Precor Ellipticals at the Cardio Lookout in Ping Center, OU is a very “green” campus. When it comes to the creatures with whom we share the environment, the Athens County Humane Society frequently hosts local events to fund the care and shelter of rescued animals in Athens County.

OU also prepares students for the future of environmental work with in-depth degree programs and organizations, including Environmental Studies, Water Resources and Environmental Engineering, Wildlife and Conservation Biology, Environmental and Plant Biology, and Environmental Prelaw, among others in the conservation field. The College of Arts and Sciences offers these programs as certificates, majors, and minors.

Conserving the planet is more important than ever, and I’m proud to attend a school that takes these issues so seriously. We all have a role in climate and wildlife conservation, and the programs and organizations we have available as students make these means to activism even more possible.

Jordan Williams is a junior studying English and women’s and gender studies. Email her at jw719111@ohio.edu.