Senior Joe Lanese, an occupational hygiene and safety major, newly crowned as "Mr. University," takes a victory strut down the catwalk. 

Alpha Delta Pi crowns this year's Mr. University

Ohio University sorority Alpha Delta Pi hosts 3rd annual “Mr. University,” a pageant-like event where male contestants from different student organizations compete against each other for the eponymous title.

Although most people have their swimwear packed away until spring, an event Wednesday night proved they could be repurposed despite cold autumn weather.

Ohio University sorority Alpha Delta Pi hosted their 3rd annual “Mr. University” event, where male contestants from various OU student organizations square off in a three-round competition to determine who will be crowned the winner and receive the eponymous title.

“Contestants for ‘Mr. University’ are represented from throughout campus: fraternity members, athletics, clubs/student organizations and I believe even Rufus is competing,” said Kristen Kardas, assistant director for greek life at OU.

Kardas was right, although the OU mascot fell short of victory despite a provocative dance routine.

Alpha Delta Pi held the event in a packed Baker University Center Ballroom, which was decorated with balloons, an array of different colored lights, a stage and runway and a large black screen offering the contestants a backstage.

Tickets cost $5,  with all proceeds going to the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Ohio. Ronald McDonald House Charities provide families of sick children home-like lodging at little to no cost near hospitals where their children are being treated, according to the charity’s website.

Last year, Alpha Delta Pi’s event helped to raise over $4,000 for the charity, according to sorority president Klare Williamson, with then-freshman Logan Paul claiming the Mr. University crown.

However, this year, 17 OU students competed to dethrone Paul of his ephemeral title and claim it for themselves.

Contestant Josh Weyler, a senior studying marketing and advertising and also a member of Beta Theta Pi, explained what values for which he believed the event stood.

“(Mr. University) raises awareness and money for a great cause, it flips the objectivity that usually is geared toward women to men, (and) it allows for the selected competitors to be creative,” Weyler said in an email. “Despite it being a charity event, the contestants are very competitive; I mean, we're competing to be Mr. University!”

From 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m., the contestants representing student organizations ranging from OU Cheerleading to Delta Upsilon to ROTC competed in three rounds. The contestants took the stage in formal wear for the first round, where they were introduced to the audience.

Acacia offered the strongest applause as their contestant Chuck Wright took the runway.

The second round placed them in swimwear with speedos and sailor caps being common themes. And finally, the third round allowed them to show off their talents. Contestants’ skills varied from Phi Kappa Psi’s Dom Donofrio’s Zumba session to OU Football safety Aaron Macer’s dance routine to the songs of “Thriller,” “Crank That (Soulja Boy),” “Bye Bye Bye” and several others.

Four judges passed scores on the participants, including Ryan Lombardi, vice president for OU student affairs, Hillary Stahl, advisor to the Women’s Panhellenic Association, Darla Stover, a representative for the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Ohio and Klare Williamson, president of Alpha Delta Pi.

“(Klare Williamson) has been planning this for about a year since when she took office in January,” Stephanie Jones, executive vice president of Alpha Delta Pi said. “It's close to all (our sorority’s) hearts.”

The judges’ scores were combined with votes from the crowd  — cast before and after the competition — to produce a winner, said Stephanie Jones.

When all the votes were counted and the contestants returned to the stage, Joey Lanese of Phi Delta Theta came out on top shortly after his stand-up comedy routine. Weyler took second place with his cymbal-playing, and Chuck Wright of Acacia took third following a rap performance.

The event brought in "about $3,500" according to Liz Danhires, philanthropy chair for Alpha Delta Pi.

@LukeFurmanOU

lf491413@ohio.edu