Nurturing OUr Nature

Nurturing OUr Nature: Becoming educated is the first step to helping the environment

Protecting our environment is no longer another option, and it shouldn’t depend on financial obligations or liabilities. 

The words of Leon Shenandoah, the deceased leader of the Iroquois Confederacy, ring true to this day: “These are our times and our responsibilities. Every human being has a sacred duty to protect the welfare of our Mother Earth, from whom all life comes. In order to do this we must recognize the enemy — the one within us. We must begin with ourselves…”

Protecting our environment is no longer another option, and it shouldn’t depend on financial obligations or liabilities. This is strictly a choice between right and wrong.

As stated above, this is our sacred duty. If we humans have a calling, be it individually or as a race, it should be to protect what brought us here. Nature is what gives us the chance to create and show our full potential. It is downright abhorrent to attack our environment, and the leaders of our world, nation and even Ohio University should be held to the strictest of standards to protect our earth.

As I learn more and more each day, money motivates, but so do sheer numbers. This is where activism comes into play. We are at a crucial point in human history where we can stand up for what is right and possibly unite all of the nations of this earth.

Environmental activism is important for this very reason. Between all of the different people and all of our issues, we can all come together to save our planet. The wheels are already in motion and it is time for everyone to get on board.

Every single person can play a part in this. Protecting the environment shouldn’t be about changing policy to make people do the right thing, but to change the minds of those that don’t believe or simply don’t care.

Being on a college campus and being the future leaders of our world, we have a chance to do this in our everyday lives. Environmental activism starts with educating yourself and being able to have a conversation with those who think differently.

Yes, we have to hold our leaders accountable for their actions, but one day they will be gone, and who will take their places? This is why it is imperative to disrupt the belief that we aren’t hurting our planet, or it’s simply too late to care. In my opinion, it is never too late, and we are knowledgeable enough to realize we all will be held accountable if nothing is done.

It’s time for us to take up our duty and unite our earth, for our earth. We can all come together and work toward a better future. Uniting the people starts with the environment and we have the potential to save us from ourselves.

Grant Stover is a sophomore studying English and a concerned environmentalist. Email him at gs155412@ohio.edu