Ohio University cancels cardboard event that looked to set world record

The event to build a cardboard castle made of 15,000 cardboard boxes has been postponed with no set rescheduled date.

Ohio University’s attempt to break the world record of the largest cardboard structure ever constructed has been temporarily postponed.

According to an OU news release, additional planning is needed before the project can take place.

OU’s Recycling and Refuse department invited volunteers to help construct the cardboard castle, a project that was scheduled to start at 4 p.m., Friday and continue throughout the day and night until the structure was complete.

Andrew Ladd, OU’s recycling and refuse manager, could not be reached for comment Thursday.

The size of the event did not allow the university to address the necessary factors to protect participants and facilities, the news release said. Fifteen thousand cardboard boxes have been collected since the start of OU’s Move-In Weekend, which brought in an estimated 26 tons, the release said.

When constructed, the structure is expected to break the current record held by Youth Making a Difference in Salt Lake City, Utah, which used 12,301 boxes to build their cardboard fort in April.

The release said the event is meant to be more than just breaking a world record. The Recycling and Refuse Department wants it to be educational, and says that now that the boxes are collected, they can focus even more on educational outreach and event planning details, according to the release.

The project does not yet have an official rescheduled date.

@taymaple

tm255312@ohio.edu