OU's Sigma Alpha Epsilon chapter suspends 32 members following review

Following a national chapter review Saturday, the membership with Ohio University’s Sigma Alpha Epsilon chapter dwindled from 65 members to 33, due to issued suspensions.

The membership of Ohio University’s Sigma Alpha Epsilon chapter was nearly cut in half this past weekend due to a membership review conducted by its national organization.

The membership review was announced to the chapter Oct. 22 and conducted Saturday. “(The national organization) has just been getting mad at us for some little things we've been getting in trouble for,” said Mitch Matey, fraternity president and junior studying business administration and finance at OU.

The review included member interviews, an evaluation of members’ grades and a hair follicle drug test, Matey said.

Additionally, Sigma Alpha Epsilon Financial & Housing Corporation called the police Saturday to report a vandalism by known members. Two members were later charged for the criminal damaging of security cameras within the chapter house at 57 E. State St., according to an Athens Police Department report.

“It was Friday when some guys didn't even want to do the interview process and left the fraternity,” Matey said. “They broke two cameras that were installed at the beginning of the year by the housing finance company.”

Due to members either refusing to take part in or failing the membership review, the fraternity has been reduced to 33 active members from its original 65. 

“(The national organization) did put a lot of people on suspension, but not expulsion,” Matey said.

Adam Alletto, a sophomore studying business management and strategic leadership, was among the suspended members who refused to take part in the review.

“I didn’t want to get 120 hairs taken off my head every three months to be in a fraternity,” Alletto said.

OU’s Office of Greek Life declined to comment on the incident.

Athens Police Chief Tom Pyle said that Sigma Alpha Epsilon had requested an off-duty officer for security personnel, which the department recently granted.

“It’s safe to assume they have some sort of issue with membership,” Pyle said. “We’ve heard that as well.”

Matey said the suspended members have to move out by this Saturday.

“They have a cop sitting outside the house until 2 a.m. and (police) are allowed to come in if they suspect anything.”

lf491413@ohio.edu

@LukeFurmanOU

—Emma Ockerman contributed to this report