Senate passes Student Trustee election resolution

Ohio University Student Senate passed a resolution that aims to give students a voice in the student trustee selection process.

Student Senate passed a resolution aiming to give students a voice in the student trustee selection process at its last general body meeting of the semester.

The first resolution proposed Wednesday night raised the prospect of student trustee elections. After narrowing the applications for the two positions down to five, a ballot will be released with short descriptions to be voted on by the student body.

“These results will be sent to the governor as the selected candidate for student trustee,” read the resolution. “All five final candidates will be sent, but it will be made clear to the governor’s office who was elected by the student body.”

Current Ohio University Student Trustees Keith Wilbur and Sharmaine Wilcox were present at the meeting Wednesday night.

“To me the issue is timing,” Wilbur said. “I would personally like you guys to table the resolution and talk to us about the resolution. I feel that there are a lot of nuances here that the resolution doesn’t really address.”

The passing of that resolution will lead to opportunity for greater student involvement, a major goal of Student Senate President Megan Marzec and Vice President Caitlyn McDaniel.

“We are really attacking a larger issue in small steps,” Marzec said. “It is an issue to me that the student trustees are chosen by the governor.”

Also at Wednesday’s meeting, senate passed several budgets, including a budget to purchase materials for a student debt campaign taking place in the spring, and for funds to bring CeCe McDonald, a transgender African American woman and LGBT activist, to OU.

On Jan. 14, senate will hold its first general body meeting of Spring Semester.

The resolution to meet biweekly will need to be voted on and passed again for that schedule to continue during Spring Semester.

@mayganbeeler

mb076912@ohio.edu