Sigma Alpha Epsilon 

Sigma Alpha Epsilon Suspends Ohio University Gamma Chapter, Orders Members to Vacate

Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s national organization issued a ruling Friday closing its Ohio Gamma chapter at Ohio University, suspending its charter.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s national headquarters issued a ruling Friday suspending its Ohio Gamma chapter at Ohio University.

The statement comes nearly a month after the fraternity’s national headquarters suspended 32 of its 65 Ohio Gamma members for failing to pass or refusing to take part in a membership review. The membership review included member interviews, an evaluation of members’ grades and a hair-follicle drug test, which is considered more intensive than a urine test.

A post on Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s website states that the closure of the Ohio Gamma chapter “serves as an important reminder that violations to our expectations and guidelines will not be tolerated.”

The statement does not cite any specific events that led to the suspension.

Mitch Matey, the chapter’s president, previously cited an alleged hazing incident Sept. 17 along with an alcohol violation issued during its investigation as possible reasons for national headquarters’ decision to announce a membership review October 22.

Although the university dropped the hazing allegations the fraternity still received a violation for possessing alcohol in its chapter house.

The national organization’s statement suspends all members of the chapter, who will be forced to vacate the chapter house and find alternative housing for the spring semester. The national organization stated that the members “failed repeatedly to adhere to health-and-safety guidelines as well as our membership agreement.”

Suspended members will lose all rights and privileges of the fraternity until graduation from the university.

“Although Sigma Alpha Epsilon regrets the closure, we are hopeful that we can re-establish the chapter at Ohio University with a new group of men who exemplify our beliefs and who serve as leaders on campus and in the community,” the national organization said.

lf491413@ohio.edu

@LukeFurmanOU