Bailey Breece

Societal Sexism: Men’s opinions in the realm of feminism

A male opinion on feminism can be a very insightful thing. I encourage men to talk about feminism, because it affects everyone, from cismen and ciswomen, to trans women and men, and anyone in between our idea of binary genders. Men can talk about feminism in an effective and encouraging way. It is wonderful to have that perspective on the movement.

But with that said, what I, and many other women do not appreciate is a man coming into our realm and telling us how to run it.

I recently came across an article from The Guardian about a man, Antony Loewenstein, talking about feminism. He begins the article by complaining about how men feel afraid to talk about feminism. If that's the most men have to worry about in regards to feminism, they're lucky. Women have to worry about being oppressed without feminism. But go on Loewenstein, complain about how you can't talk about women's rights without women criticizing your thoughts on how we should be treated.

The reason he's afraid to talk about feminism is not because feminists are crazy and ready to bite any man's head off (you know, because we're such raging misandrists and all), but because he's afraid his opinion isn't front and center. Men are afraid to talk about feminism because they're afraid to be called out on problematic opinions, thoughts and feelings. No one wants to look at themselves and realize, that they have been sexist or racist. But that's what's holding us back! We need to look at the problematic things we're doing in order to understand and combat them. Choosing to live comfortably in ignorance isn't helpful. We need to be able to see our actions in a critical light and understand how we're reinforcing a culture that oppresses and marginalizes certain groups of people.

It’s clear in his article that he hadn’t read anything about feminism recently. He hasn't read any current feminist theory, or literature, because he enters the discussion by telling us what we need to do better. Many of the things he talks about are already being talked about and worked on from within the feminist community.

It's called “mansplaining,” and it means that you're coming from your place of privilege and speaking with the assumption that your opinion is going to be valid and listened to because that's all you've ever known. Our culture values men over women. The general public listens to men when they have an idea and they are paid more attention to and given more validity. They are not asked to qualify their statements, but women are. And so when men enter women's conversations, this is all they know.

We understand. It makes you uncomfortable not to be the center of attention. It makes you feel oddly overlooked to have your opinion mean less in a certain instance than it has your entire life. But look at why that is and take a step back. Talk about feminism all you want, but don't tell women how to run it. You're not the ones in charge for once, so get over it.

Bailey Breece is junior studying English and German. Email her at bb463711@ohio.edu