Cassie Fait

AfterTASTE: Breakfast options in Athens slim but scrumptious

Cassie Fait takes readers through their breakfast options in Athens.

To be frank, breakfast can be pretty bland with repetitive ingredients. Breakfast options tend to be unhealthy with heavy food dishes, which are usually not the healthiest options.

Despite Athens’ limited restaurant scene, quite a few tasty breakfast and brunch locations are located within the city. Better yet, the food spots offer more than the typical all-American morning meal.

Fluff Bakery:

If I could afford it, I would go to Fluff on a daily basis. Not only does Fluff serve the best coffee in town (Silverbridge), it also offer homemade delights. For coffee addicts like myself, the restaurant/bakery offers $1 coffees if you use one of the to-go mugs. Coffee aside, my food recommendations are the mushroom gravy and biscuits, any of its made-from-scratch bagels and their breakfast sandwiches.

On Sunday, Fluff offered breakfast tacos that still have me dreaming about their glory. The breakfast tacos featured chorizo with a house-made queso, roasted potatoes, onions topped with cilantro, all snug in a corn tortilla. I hope that dish becomes a regular on the breakfast menu, which is available until 5 p.m.

Union Street Diner:

Despite the convenient location of the Court Street Diner, Union Street Diner far outshines its greasy spoon-quality competition. Huge portions and down home vibes attract customers to the 24-hour diner. The all-day breakfast menu offers all the breakfast favorites and portions that threaten to capsize the plate.

I would recommend any of the omelettes on the menu and the cinnamon chocolate chip pancakes. Fair warning: the cinnamon-laden pancakes are not for those who don’t enjoy in-your-face flavors.

The bottomless cups of coffee and friendly service draw me to the Athens’ staple. Last time I was at the diner, the host offered a to-go cup and a fresh cup of coffee. Those small gestures keep me and others coming back.

Athens Uncorked:

Although Athens Uncorked is a wine bar, the venue also serves the morning crowd. On weekdays from 7:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m., Athens Uncorked offers a coffee service with pastries from Fluff and homemade pop tarts. The pop tarts — made by the owner, Kathy — originally drew me to the spot and will keep me coming back.

Also, the French press coffee features Cleveland's Six Shooter Coffee. The dark roast wasn’t overpowering and well worth the $4; the small size filled about four cups of coffee.

The chill atmosphere beats an often-obnoxious crowd since the spot is located further off campus. It’s a fantastic spot to spend an easy morning or have a morning meeting.

Cassie Fait is a senior studying journalism and women’s, gender and sexuality studies. Email her at cf301411@ohio.edu.