The GoBus picks up and drops off students in front of The Convo at Ohio University. The GoBus has routes to Cincinnati, Columbus and Marietta. (KAITLIN OWENS | FILE)

Athens Public Transit revenue increased 26% last year

Athens Public Transit saw increases in ridership and revenue in recent years.

Those looking to mosey around Athens shouldn’t overlook Athens Public Transit’s bus system as a way to get around.

The city’s bus system transports about 300,000 riders each year, according to reports from Hocking Athens Perry Community Action, with about 304,000 riders in 2014 alone. In 2013, the system transported 291,317 passengers through its five bus routes.

After Athens Public Transit elected to decrease its bus fare from $1.50 to $1 in fall of 2013, ridership steadily increased, according to the reports. 

Decreasing the cost of bus fare positively affected Athens Public Transit’s profits, said Michael Lachman, transportation services manager for Athens Public Transit.

“Surprisingly, our city fare box revenue has increased even faster than ridership; it was up 26 percent in 2014,” Lachman said.

He added that ridership has also seen a significant jump in recent years due to an increase in student activity.

“City ridership has been growing rapidly; it increased 21 percent from 2013-14,” Lachman said. “People, particularly younger people, want alternatives to driving and taking the transit leaves commuting time free for other activities.”

Ohio University is home to two of the transit system’s more prominent routes: Routes 3 and 4, which are the most traveled routes due to their proximity to campus, Lachman said.

Route 3 stops at West Mulberry Street by Baker University Center and makes additional stops at the East State Street Shopping District, Carriage Hill Apartments, several areas throughout West Green and more.

Route 4 travels through both the east and south side of OU’s campus, cruising Mill Street and other neighborhoods on Athens’ east side.

Since the start of the new year, Route 3 has hosted 1,168 riders while Route 4 has serviced 941 riders. 

Athens Transit continues to make changes to its services in order to accommodate as many people as it can in Athens County.

On Feb. 2, Athens Public Transit will implement a sixth route and expand its schedule for Route 5. Both routes will loop through west Athens and The Plains, with Route 6 making stops in Chauncey.  

“We are moving out to the county with our public transit,” said Athens City Councilwoman Michele Papai, D-3rd Ward.

The goal of the new schedule and additional route is to transport graduate students and other students living farther off campus, Lachman said.

Athens Mayor Paul Wiehl added that a new mobile application launched by Athens Public Transit should make navigating the transit system more convenient. The app allows users to track buses throughout the county.

"The real-time (feature) gives you the ability to say, ‘OK, I can grab a cup of coffee and then stand out in the cold,’” Wiehl said.

— Asst. Local Editor Emily Bohatch contributed to this article

@chelseasickk

cs117913@ohio.edu