Campus Chatter

Campus Chatter: Academics don’t suffice for internships

“Hi Professor!”

I started out typing; a feeling of anxiousness sweeping over me.

“My name is Maria Fischer and I am student enrolled in your class this upcoming semester. I just wanted to let you know that I am currently finishing up a great internship opportunity in New York City.”

With a little mental encouragement, I finally forced myself to write the part of the email that I was avoiding:

“My work schedule happened to be a bit off and I will not be able to leave New York until next week. Therefore, I will not be able to attend the first two classes.”

Though I felt that an internship seemed like a legitimate reason to miss a few classes, a fellow intern wasn’t so sure.

“Wow, good luck,” she said as I read her the email aloud. “I had to pull strings to get credit for this internship because my school doesn’t even require internships. They don’t really consider them vital.”

Feeling even more worried than before, I clicked “send” and moved onto the next email for the next class, hoping for a positive outcome.

Responses quickly poured in, and much to my surprise, most of my professors understood my situation and were willing to accommodate. That earlier feeling of anxiousness quickly turned into a combination of relief and gratefulness. I was relieved that my professors were OK with my absence, and I felt grateful to attend a school that understands the value of internships — as they should.

While theory-based courses and classroom lectures are essential aspects of a college education, internships provide valuable work experience that schoolwork cannot. As a journalism student specializing in magazine and online publications, I can honestly say that I didn’t understand the true cycle of print and online publishing until I started working in the field.

I had taken introductory courses for media, journalism and communication, so I certainly knew the logistics behind how various publications worked, but I didn’t have a full appreciation for quick turnaround times and hard deadlines until I was thrown into a fast-paced environment. My internships taught me to think on my feet, work as a part of a collective team, and get tasks done — all while strengthening my writing skills, editing skills and work ethic.

Needless to say, internships are irreplaceable. There is no classroom lecture that can replace a great internship with hands-on experience. Even an article in USA Today’s education section boldly proclaims, “Degrees are great, but internships make a difference.”

Courses are important because they teach students how to think, but internships are equally as important because they teach students how to do. When combined together, classroom work and internships give students a full, inclusive education. By the time students get their diplomas, they’ll feel prepared and ready to enter the workforce.

And an added perk of scoring an internship: Stuart Lander, chief marketing office at Internships.com, told Forbes, “You have a 7 in 10 chance of being hired by the company you interned with.”

Ohio University is doing their students a service by placing a strong emphasis on internships, and other universities should follow suit.

Maria Fischer is a junior studying journalism. Email her at mf628211@ohio.edu