Jim Ryan is a senior studying journalism and political science and editor-in-chief of The Post

From The Editor's Desk: Applications open for next year’s ‘Post’ editor position

The Post’s Publishing Board and top editors have opened up editor-in-chief applications a bit earlier than usual this year. 

By this time next week, Posties will have their first look at the folks vying to lead the publication after I hand over the keys.

The Post’s Publishing Board and top editors have opened up editor-in-chief applications a bit earlier than usual this year. Our goal is to better evaluate candidates for the position and give them time to get a flavor for the job, working closely with myself and the top editors throughout the application process.

Written intent to apply is due Friday, and a full proposal, outlining applicants’ plans if they were to be selected, will be due the Friday after Spring Break. The editor will be selected in late March.

(I realize this reads as equal parts column and advertisement, but I’m often posed the question of how the publication picks its top editor.)

Once applicants express their intent to apply for the position, they will be looped in discussions with our top editors; learn how to budget the newspaper and website (decide what stories and photos go where) and begin to figure out some of the quirks of the job.

They’ll also be introduced to the Publishing Board, which selects the editor.

In previous years, editor applications were due in late March, and the editor was picked shortly thereafter.

The only difference this year is that applicants will be “training” for the role a month before a selection is made, allowing the new editor to hit the ground running from the first day on the job.

As many as three or four Posties usually apply for the position, and I’m excited to see who vies for the job this time around.

That said, I’m in no rush to stop writing from the editor’s desk anytime soon.

As always, thanks for reading.

Jim Ryan is a senior studying journalism and political science and editor-in-chief of The Post. Have someone to recommend for next year’s editor position? Ready for him to get the heck out of Athens? Contact him at jr992810@ohio.edu or on Twitter at @Jimryan015.