Municipal Court Judge William Grim to step down, open office for reelection

Attorney Todd Grace is hoping to take over Athens County Municipal Court judge William Grim’s position this November. City Prosecutor Lisa Eliason has her sights set on the city law director position.

When William A. Grim, Athens County Municipal Court judge, was elected in 2003 he had already decided he would step down after two terms.

Grim, 67, said that since judge candidates aren’t allowed to run for the office over the age of 70, a two-term judgeship seemed appropriate.

“Now that I’m in it, I wish I was 10 years younger and I’d do another term,” he said.

Although Grim is term-eligible, he said it just made sense for him to retire.

Grim officially announced he would not run for reelection in December.

According the Athens County Board of Election’s website, there is only one contender for Grim’s position so far: Todd Grace, a private attorney with Grace and McGee Attorneys at Law, 19 W. Washington St.

Grace, a Democrat, will run in May’s primary elections.

The last day for hopefuls to file for candidacy in this year’s election is Feb. 4.

Grace said he began to think seriously about serving as the county judge after Grim appointed him as an acting Athens County Municipal Court judge in 2009.

“He has a very judicious demeanor,” Grim said. “He is very calm, he is very analytical and he is a listener.”

Grace said he acted as one of the judges that could step in when Grim couldn’t hear a case. He also served as a magistrate for the Athens County Juvenile Court for 12 years.

“I enjoy the work and I think there’s a good opportunity to serve the community as a judge,” Grace said.

Grim said when he appointed Grace as an acting judge, he was impressed by his ability to treat every case as an individual.

Grim added that recognizing people as individuals is the primary way he avoided being overwhelmed by the high caseload during his time as Municipal Court judge.

The court takes on 10,000 to 15,000 cases a year, about 70 percent of all of the total litigations in the county, Grim said.

This isn’t Grace’s first time running for a county judge position. Last year, he ran against Athens City Law Director Pat Lang in the May primary for Athens County Common Pleas Court Judge. Grace lost by four votes, according to a previous Post report.

Grace said he was happy with the support he received during the campaign.

“I’m encouraged from that experience to now move forward,” he said.

Grim’s judge seat will not be the only law-related position open to candidates in the coming year.

Athens City Prosecutor Lisa Eliason announced last week that she will be running for the city’s law director position, currently held by Lang.

Lang will be vacating his office on Feb. 9, after he was elected to Athens County Common Pleas Court judge.

Eliason is currently running unopposed.

Eliason previously requested that Athens Mayor Paul Wiehl consider appointing her to the position after Lang eventually made his move to the county.

Eliason would hold that position until November’s election.

“There has never been a woman to hold an elected law department position (in the city),” she said.

@wtperkins

wp198712@ohio.edu