Grant Stover

Nurturing OUr Nature: Student activists help make positive changes to society

Grant Stover weighs in on environmental activism at OU. 

During my past two years at Ohio University, I have met students who care for our world and aren’t afraid to speak up when society turns its back on itself. I’ve been around activists who care about the environment and protest for numerous causes — black lives and rape culture, to name a few — that affect people. I’ve seen direct action and positive change come from these efforts and it has shown me how much power is in the hands of the young.

Grassroots efforts started the opposition for the Keystone XL Pipeline and it has turned into a major point of debate for Americans. There have been rallies all around the country urging President Barack Obama to veto a bill for the pipeline that looks like it will inevitably pass through the Senate in the upcoming weeks.

These movements rely on concerned students hoping for a better future for themselves and their children. Taking part in higher education gives us the opportunity to learn about various causes and take that knowledge to question what is happening in our lives. There is still much to learn from past generations, but what our generation decides to fight for will determine what our future holds.

Environmental responsibility falls on those that are in control, and there is lots of blame that needs to be placed on some lawmakers in the U.S. One could argue that it is too late to undo the harm that has affected the earth and we’ve made our bed, but it will not be our current generation that will pay for the mistakes. Our duty in the next generation is to blatantly point out our past mistakes and make a change. Whether it is the Keystone XL Pipeline or the total usage of dirty resources, we can start to build the power to turn around the bleak future that awaits us.

Change is slow and that can be disheartening at times, but change is inevitable if we use our power of youth to right the wrongs in our world. This power starts with the way individuals view the world around them. We live in a better world than past generations and that’s partially because of past strides to make change — divesting from fossil fuels and the People’s Climate March, for example. But we didn’t get to this point because people felt satisfied with society. Past generations kept pointing out issues and pushing them into the limelight.

Don’t be satisfied with positive social change. Instead, let it motivate you to fight for further advances to society. If you want be a part of the change at OU, student senate provides many opportunities to talk about relevant issues, and how students can fight for all people and our environment.

Now is our time to shout at the last generation, and if we keep fighting, hopefully when we are surpassed by our children, they can just say thanks.

Grant Stover is a sophomore studying English, a member of the Environmental Committee on Student Senate and a member of the Sierra Coalition at Ohio University. Email him at gs155412@ohio.edu or find him on Twitter at @grant_stover.