Ryan Meier, of the Boston Indie Rock band Cherry Mellow performs a cover of "Come a Little Closer" by Cage the Elephant at the Wolf Haus venue on Jan. 17, 2015. The DIY music movement is gaining popularity among the alternative college crowd. 

Police and local businesses kept busy this first week back

Athens may be rowdier during the first weekend after students return, but it’s nothing unexpected.

The return of Ohio University students typically makes for a livelier Athens.

But local law enforcement and uptown business representatives said the first weekend of Spring Semester was nothing unusual.

Troy Orwin, a manager at Big Mamma’s Burritos, 10 S. Court St., said business during Athens’ opening weekend was busy, but smooth.

“There is some adjustments that need to be made,” Orwin said, though he added his employees are trained and know what to expect. “You’re getting back into the swing of things ... but other than that, nothing too crazy.”

Although Big Mamma’s employees experience an increase in customers when students return, Orwin said events like OU’s Homecoming Weekend and the Athens Halloween Block Party were far rowdier and required extra preparation.

Alex Charavell, a shift leader at Insomnia Cookies, 27 N. Court St., said business was slow earlier in the week but “crazy busy” over the weekend.

Charavell said there haven’t been any issues for the store since students returned, as Insomnia Cookies staffs more employees during weekends like these, she said.

“Spring Semester is a little bit calmer for us,” Charavell said.

Local bars also experienced a busy weekend, with an increase in customers toward the end of their first week back in action.

Eric Rechner, a bartender at The Pub, 39 N. Court St., said there were more than 150 people at the Uptown bar Saturday night and a line out the door.

“It's nice to be making money,” Rechner said. “There were no fights, it was good all weekend. I heard there were some (fights) elsewhere."

The Pub was not the only Uptown bar that saw an increased influx of customers on Friday and Saturday night.

Lauren Gramza, a bartender at Red Brick Sports Pub, 14 N. Court St., said the bar had 130 customers on Friday and Saturday night, respectively.

“It's been more than last year,” Gramza said. “Fridays and Saturdays are always busier than Sundays, but we have had a lot more people out than usual.”

Athens Police Captain Ralph Harvey said his department had a normal amount of officers patrolling Uptown during the first weekend of Spring Semester.

“Generally, the first weekend isn't staffed too much more than any other weekend — but we definitely don't want a skeleton crew,” Harvey said.

Harvey added that every semester presents a different challenge for officers, depending on whether students choose house parties or Uptown bars as their partying avenue.

APD received a criminal damaging report Friday after two males reportedly broke a plate glass window at Don and Steve’s Barber Shop, 40 W. Union St. Officers were unable to locate the men. The broken window resulted in $500 in damages.

OU Police Lt. Tim Ryan said the volume of calls his department received during the first week of Spring Semester was fairly consistent with previous years.

OUPD received four theft reports and a report of assault from Jan. 12 to Jan. 15.

@JoshuaLim93

jl951613@ohio.edu