Sports Column: Things haven’t gone as planned for Ohio men’s basketball

Saturday was fun for the Bobcats faithful, but things haven’t gone as planned for Ohio.

The home crowd in The Convo erupted with jubilation; first in excitement, then relief.

Maurice Ndour slammed home the last-second game-winner against a good Buffalo team on Saturday.

Although Ohio lost by 36 points to Eastern Michigan on Tuesday, Ohio had won two straight Mid-American Conference matchups, and head coach Saul Phillips relished the moment of finally winning a conference game at home in front of Bobcats fans.

Things were looking up, but haven’t always gone as planned.

Although the Bobcats (7-11, 2-5 MAC) dug a bit of a hole for themselves in the beginning of the year, they have emerged from the pit since.

For one, the rotation is getting deeper. Young players such as Wadly Mompremier and Khari Harley are getting more playing time, which keeps legs fresh and energizes the team.

Also, with Stevie Taylor out as a starter, the Bobcats are kicking off games with a bigger lineup that allows for better defensive matchups for the tip-off.

But there are still a few things that irk me about the current playing style.

Yes, Ndour can be a force to reckon with — when he’s inside the paint. I am fine with the offense revolving mostly around the Senegalese forward. Ndour has received multiple MAC East player of the week awards, so obviously the talent is there.

What is hurting the team, is when Ndour shuffles his feet trying to make an outside move, or taking a contested shot inside the three-point line.

If the ball finds Ndour after he screens, that’s OK. The next step should either be taking the open shot right away, or trying to back down a smaller defender and get to the rim.

Defensively, the Bobcats give up too many second chances. Offensive tip-ins or big men kicking out offensive rebounds for threes can demoralize a unit. It’s all about boxing out, and there are definitely instances where the Bobcats lose their men.

I’m also left to wonder if Phillips will visibly show any frustration to his players and not just to the referees.

The Bobcats commit countless silly turnovers in transition, in addition to Javarez “Bean” Willis and Taylor jacking up 3-pointers from NBA range. Phillips generally doesn’t move a muscle.

I’d just like to see a little more heart out there. There’s always time for a turn-around.

Then who knows, all it takes is a strong MAC Tournament run to take the plunge into the madness.

Nick Kairys is a freshman studying journalism and a sports writer for The Post. What do you think about the Bobcats men’s basketball team? Let him know @NKairys or nk596613@ohio.edu.