Ohio senior guard Myriah Byrd tries to dribble past Central Michigan senior guard Crystal Bradford during their game at the Convocation Center on Saturday January 17. 

Women's Basketball: Four major takeaways from Ohio’s win over Central Michigan

A notebook on Ohio’s win over Central Michigan and what it means moving forward.

Following its 71-51 win over Central Michigan, Ohio is tied for first in the Mid-American Conference and is off to one of its best starts ever. Here are a few takeaways from the game:

Ohio is a serious contender for the Mid-American Conference title

The Bobcats may never admit it, but they are for real. Sure, there are things coach Bob Boldon wants his team to improve on, but overall, Ohio looks primed for a MAC title run. Against Central Michigan, the benchmark of success in previous years, Ohio dominated on both ends of the court and made WNBA-prospect Crystal Bradford irrelevant for a majority of the game. If the same success continues, expect to see the Bobcats still competing in late March.

Bob Boldon is an excellent coach

Boldon, who started his career as an assistant coach for Wilmington College, has done a superb job reshaping Ohio’s program. During his playing days at Walsh (1993-1997), Boldon lead the Cavaliers in career assists (775) and finished fourth all-time in career points. His unselfish mentality has rubbed off on Ohio, as the Bobcats have become more patient on offense. Against Central Michigan, Ohio distributed the ball and found wide-open shots numerous times because of their vision on the court.

On defense, Chippewa guard Bradford was shut down with the help of Ohio guards Yamonie Jenkins and Kat Yelle’s speed. Bradford, who had season-ending knee surgery last year, shot 2 for 16 from the field for just 8 points. It was a subtle tactic by Boldon to attack her speed and not her height (Bradford is 6-feet tall), but one that was a difference-maker.

“We didn’t really plan against her, it was a team effort,” junior forward Lexie Baldwin said. “It’s the team, not just one person.”

Mariah Byard, Quiera Lampkins and Mariah Harris are huge x-factors going forward

For Ohio, these are almost guarantees: Kiyanna Black is going to score; Yelle and Jenkins are going to facilitate the ball; Baldwin is going to help anchor the defense.

Moving forward, however, the play of Byard, Lampkins and Harris is something to keep an eye on. For Byard, it’s rather simple. When the senior guard shoots well, the Bobcats improve. This season, the Bobcats are 5-0 when Byard scores 10 points or more.

In terms of Lampkins, her jump shot opens up her offensive repertoire. Lampkins is rather strong at driving into the paint and hoisting up a 12-foot floater or attacking the rim. With her shooting mechanics improved, however, defenses now have to respect her from around the perimeter. Finally, Harris’ role in Boldon’s motion offense has increased as of late. She’s listed as a guard for the Bobcats, but she plays tough inside and is valuable from the wings. This should be useful for Ohio — a team known for its perimeter shooting.

The Bobcats will only get better

The Bobcats play numerous sophomores and just five upperclassmen. They’re on a trajectory that hasn’t been seen since 2008, and it’s exciting to think that Ohio could still improve. During the offseason, Boldon said many players worked on their jump shot and maturity.

“If you're asking me to guess how many wins we will have this year then I don't know,” Boldon said. “I think they are growing a lot. I think they have a little bit higher of standard than we once had.”

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu