A view of the intersection of snow-covered Court and Washington Streets. 

Athens campus stays open despite heavy snow

Athens County is projected to get four to eight inches of snow.

Ohio University's Southern Campus might have been closed for most of Monday, but classes are still in session in Athens.

OU spokeswoman Stephanie Filson said Monday at 3 p.m. that “right now though there’s no cancellation of classes, to my knowledge, but of course we’re monitoring it constantly.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="15cab280-b63c-11e4-8e8b-47349c741daa"}}

OU’s Southern Ironton campus closed because of snow at 11:30 a.m. Monday. Early Monday afternoon, Hocking College canceled evening classes that started at 5 p.m. or later. OU's Chillicothe campus closed because of weather for all classes starting after 2 p.m. and will reopen Tuesday at 8 a.m.

OU policy states that a Level 3 snow alert would close campus, according to previous Post reporting.

As of Monday evening, Athens County was under a Level 2 snow alert, according to the Athens County Sheriff's website.

Just after noon on Monday, Assistant Dean Cary Frith announced that the Honors Tutorial College's office on Park Place would be closed for the remainder of the day. 

At about 1:30 p.m. that day, University Commons announced on its Facebook page that it would not be offering shuttles for the remainder of the day.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f31af500-b63c-11e4-b9be-b3f96e5d93f1"}}

At about 1:50 p.m., Athens City Council Clerk Debbie Walker announced that the body would not meet Monday night for its regular meeting.

Early forecasts over the weekend predicted as much as 8 inches of snow in Athens County, though an updated map from the National Weather Service predicts up to 4 inches before Tuesday morning.

NWS issued a preliminary map online Sunday afternoon for a substantial snowstorm projected to envelope Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia from Monday into Tuesday morning.

According to the map, Athens County is projected to face 4 to 6 inches of snow before 6 p.m. Tuesday. The heaviest snow was slated for Monday afternoon and evening.

But on Sunday, the NWS issued a winter storm warning lasting from Monday morning to Tuesday, calling for as much as 8 inches of snow in Athens.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="809a37ce-b647-11e4-a8ea-733b2eb1b9b6"}}

In a Facebook post Monday morning, OU’s Scalia Lab said a winter storm warning is still in effect for the Athens area until 5 a.m. Tuesday, with the possibility of 4 to 8 inches expected.

Scalia Lab also said that confidence in the predicted snowfall total has risen, with accumulation possibly totaling about 6 to 7 inches.

@SamuelHHoward

sh335311@ohio.edu