Nathan De La Torre, a senior left forward on the Ohio University Club Hockey team, sits in the locker room at Bird Arena in Athens, Ohio. on Tuesday, February 3, 2015. De La Torre has been one of the top scorers on the team for the past three seasons.

Bobcats' senior forward preparing to carry offense into tournaments

After three years as a key member of the Ohio offense, Nathan De La Torre looks to continue stepping up as his season — and career — nears its end.

Ohio needed a man to step up.

Robert Morris had beaten the Bobcats the night before, and had led the entire game up through the first 10 minutes of the third period. But then, the Bobcats tied it and needed another man to take charge and give the team more forward momentum.

Right on cue was senior forward Nathan De La Torre, receiving a feed from Liam Geither and burying the puck in the back of the net to give Ohio its first lead of the series. Later in the period, the defense collapsed, surrendering the tying goal and then the game-winning goal in overtime.

The back-to-back home losses, occurring this past weekend, were rare. De La Torre showing up when it counts isn’t.

And though that particular effort was futile, it’s worth noting because it’s a moment that has been created so many times over his three-year Ohio career. De La Torre, a native of Glenshaw, Pennsylvania, has scored four game-deciding goals this season — tied with Michael Harris for the most on the team.

“It’s really no surprise he scores those goals in those situations,” forwards coach David Nies said. “He just puts himself in the right position at the right time. He’s very calm and even-keel at all times.”

For someone who has displayed so much consistency on the ice, and has displayed enough leadership to be named an assistant captain, the results are exactly what an onlooker would expect.

De La Torre has finished each of the past two seasons with 22 points and enters this weekend having already compiled exactly that number — good for the fifth-most on the team. De La Torre’s 12 goals are the Bobcats’ third-most this season.

The consistency of De La Torre’s numbers are all the more impressive when taking into account the fact he has played for three head coaches during his time in Athens, meaning he’s had to adapt to three styles of play.

“I just try to stick to my game,” De La Torre said. “I’m an offensive-minded player, so I just try to set up my teammates as best as I can. I usually try to just play as consistent as possible.”

Standing at an even six fet tall, De La Torre doesn’t have the stature or physical approach that many of his teammates do. He instead looks for a more technical approach with and without the puck.

Geither, who has played on the same line as De La Torre the past two seasons, says his linemate’s even temperament is key to what he’s able to do with the puck.

“(Patience) is great to have when you’re a forward,” Geither said. “It helps you create a play when you need to. Plus, he’s got a great shot. If we need him to find a soft spot, he usually can and he usually gets a good shot off.”

Geither and De La Torre have balanced each other well all season, with the former’s 16 assists complementing the latter’s goal scoring. Geither says he hasn’t given much thought to the end of the pair’s playing days and is in no hurry to reach that point.

“We haven’t really talked about the end of the season much,” Geither said. “We’re just taking it week-by-week right now. I know that day is coming, and it’s going to suck, but I think he’s ready to move on.”

After his playing career is finished, De La Torre says he’d like to get his master’s in sport management, noting that his dream job is to work as a general manager for a NHL team.

For now, however, De La Torre still has all of his attention set on leading the Bobcats, currently ranked third in the nation, to their first national crown since 2004.

“I’m more about the team than anything,” De La Torre said. “I think we’ve come a long way since the beginning of the season. The goals we’ve achieved so far this season have us well on our way to reaching our ultimate goal, which is winning a national title.”

@_tonywolfe_

aw987712@ohio.edu