Ohio junior forward Lexie Baldwin shoots over Central Michigan senior guard Crystal Bradford during their game at the Convocation Center on Saturday January 17.

Bobcats topple preseason MAC favorites again

Ohio continues winning streak to seven with road win against Central Michigan.

It was the shot that has defined the Mid-American Conference this season.

With 5:05 remaining in the game, Ohio junior guard Kiyanna Black sprayed a 3-pointer in the face of Central Michigan’s Crystal Bradford, the reigning conference player of the year, to extend the Bobcats’ lead to 11.

As the opponents traded the lead with almost every basket earlier in the game, Black’s tally gave the Bobcats a double-digit lead in the mist of a potential Chippewas rally.

The shot reaffirmed the notion that there’s a new team to beat in the MAC: Ohio.

Ohio toppled Central Michigan, the conference’s preseason favorite, in both encounters this season — a 71-51 victory on Jan. 17 and another victory, 74-66, on Saturday. The Bobcats have now won seven consecutive games for the first time since the 1997-1998 season.

The rematch didn’t have the flair and tenacity of Ohio’s first pummeling, but it was a victory on the road against a good team that extended Ohio’s two-game lead in the MAC East.

“I think we were very fortunate that we happened to win this basketball game,” Ohio coach Bob Boldon said. “I’m happy that we made shots and the kids stepped up by hitting free throws down the stretch securing the win that way, but otherwise, this doesn’t feel very good.”

After holding Bradford to a pedestrian eight-point performance in the first contest, the Bobcats struggled to shut down the potential WNBA prospect on Saturday. She finished the afternoon with 29 points and 14 rebounds.

“She’s really good,” Boldon said. “You’ve got to force her to take tough shots…I think that’s what our frustration is because we didn’t do a very good job forcing her to take those tough shots.”

While Bolden didn’t come out and actually say it, the second-year coach was likely satisfied with his team’s 3-point shooting success and Central Michigan’s lack thereof.

The Chippewas went 2-of-22 from three, while the Bobcats made 8-of-24 from beyond the arc. And even if that’s not an especially strong percentage, it’s an 18-point difference Central Michigan failed to make up.

Ohio now has a week off before its next game against Kent State. Boldon said the time off is coming at an auspicious time for the Bobcats.

“We’ve got to increase our defensive intensity and rebound the basketball,” he said. “We’d like to be better this time of the year, and we’re thankful we have a bye week coming up and we’ll try to fix some things.”

With 5:05 remaining, the Bobcats proved that they’re the best team in the conference, even if their coach can spot areas for improvement.

With 5:05 remaining, any discussions regarding Ohio’s talent were halted and brushed aside as debate about the team winning the MAC and possibly making the NCAA Tournament was ushered in.

With 5:05 remaining, Black’s shot furthered the transformation of the worst program in the conference two years ago to the red-hot team that left Mount Pleasant victorious Saturday.

@charliehatch_

gh181212@ohio.edu