Isaac Smith, an Ohio University senior, holds up the shirt that has led to a lawsuit. Smith announced today he is suing three OU administrators for telling Students Defending Students members not to wear the shirt, arguing it violates the Student Code of Conduct. Smith contends the code violates students' right to free speech.

Editorial: ‘Post’ supports Code of Conduct change, encourages conversation

The Post supports changes made to the student code of conduct following a recently settled lawsuit. 

Ohio University settled its case against a student who, citing an overly broad university policy, claimed that officials limited his free speech.

Here’s the backstory: Isaac Smith wore a T-shirt for his student organization (which somewhat ironically helps students navigate the university's judicial process) that displayed the slogan: “We’ll get you off for free.” Smith claims a university official told him she didn’t want to see the student group wearing the T-shirt again; the university contested this.

But on Monday, Smith agreed with the university. OU will pay Smith $6,000 and his legal fees ($26,000), and it will change the wording in its Code of Conduct.

Read More: University settles in free speech case

Previously, the wording specified that no student could act in a way that “demeans, degrades, disgraces any person.” It will now read that any “act of discrimination or harassment that violates Ohio University policy” will be met with punishment.

The university released a statement in the course of the lawsuit that said it respected free speech.

“As educators, we respect freedom of speech and expression as core values at Ohio University,” said Katie Quaranta, a university spokeswoman.

We’re glad to see the university support this statement with a policy change.

But we wish it could’ve been a conversation OU officials had months ago, without the loss of $32,000. Renting a conference room in Baker to discuss university policies with students and how it affects them is free.

OU students want to change some things, and some have been pretty vocal about that this year.

There have been multiple rallies about various social issues, such as minority rights, tuition increases and funding for OUSAP, the university’s survivor advocacy program. (The university has said the survivor advocacy program is a “priority,” but hasn’t commented on explicitly how the program will be sustained.)

OU students have a lot to say, and the university should go out of its way to hear them out, perhaps by continuing its Campus Conversation series and seeking ways to further converse with students.

This lawsuit has been essentially $32,000 worth of, “let’s sit and talk.” And while we’re glad to see the changes in OU’s Code of Conduct — and understand that Smith’s legal fees and payout are little more than a drop in the bucket for a university with a multimillion dollar budget — we think both parties could’ve achieved the same goals after having conversation rather than a lawsuit.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post's executive editors: editor-in-chief Jim Ryan, managing editor Sara Jerde, opinion editor Xander Zellner and projects editor Allan Smith. Post editorials are independent of the publication's news coverage.