Jim Ryan is a senior studying journalism and political science and editor-in-chief of The Post

From The Editor's Desk: Front-page visuals important for ‘Post’

Every print edition of The Post offers a new opportunity for us to present information in a new and exciting way, and each paper is designed with readers in mind.

There has been a common theme among Post front pages this week: large photos and graphics meant to catch your eye.

This is nothing new for us, but it’s worth noting after a week where we featured visuals that spanned a sizable portion of our front page.

The decision to do so isn’t a frivolous one, meant to fill space in the newspaper or inflate photographers’ egos. The root of our decision to play up our visuals goes back to a question that’s often asked during our daily planning meetings: “What’s the best photo of the day?”

If the response is particularly appealing — take yesterday’s front-page silhouette of an Ohio University equestrian team member, for example — there’s a good chance we’re going to feature it prominently on the page.

My reasoning: If you’ve got it, flaunt it.

Check out this week’s front pages: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday

In a time when many students are more likely to have their eyes glued to a smartphone than to be on the lookout for a newsstand, it’s important for The Post to use its front page as a way to attract readers to our print product.

(We also made improvements to the mobile version of our website this week, for those who are more apt to read us on the go.)

For students who do notice our newsstands on campus, that day’s front page is often their only point of entry to The Post that day. So if the page isn’t interesting, it’s just that much easier for a student to disregard that day’s paper.

Every print edition offers a new opportunity for us to present information in a new and exciting way, and each paper is designed with readers in mind.

As always, thanks for reading.

Jim Ryan is a senior studying journalism and political science and editor-in-chief of The Post. Think The Post is looking good this year? Think he should recruit a new design chief? Contact him at jr992810@ohio.edu or on Twitter at @Jimryan015.