Officials' favorite grub

Officials are Uptown food junkies, just like students

Every city, county official has his or her favorite.

When city officials aren’t passing ordinances, running the city or leading drug busts, they enjoy the vast food palates Athens offers just like any other cuisine connoisseur.

Among the multiple restaurants, Casa Nueva Mexican Grill, 4 West State St., tops the list of favorite eateries.

Back in the ’80s, Mayor Paul Wiehl found himself fantasizing about working at Casa while he worked as a lab tech in the medical department at Ohio University.

“Working as a lab tech, there wasn’t very much socialization,” Wiehl said. “(Casa) looked like so much fun and such a friendly place.”

Wiehl liked the idea of the restaurant being worker-owned.

“Rather than just working for ‘the Man,’ you’d be working for yourself and everyone around you,” Wiehl said.

Casa’s co-op program isn’t the only attractive part of the restaurant.

“It’s good food, it’s healthy, it’s locally grown stuff,” Wiehl said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="40f6b3c8-a018-5be8-9f55-1da2b6ac8908"}}

Wiehl isn’t the only one in the City Building who craves Casa.

Athens City Council members Mike Canterbury, Steve Patterson and Jennifer Cochran also frequent the Mexican cantina.

“(My family goes) every Friday night or Saturday for supper, and then listen to music,” Canterbury said.

Patterson shares the love of the atmosphere, as well as how the food is locally sourced.

Cochran agreed, pointing to the “good food, healthy options and a great family atmosphere.”   

The Mexican restaurant features multiple vegan and vegetarian options, but doesn’t leave out individuals who like a little carnita in their burrito. Aside from the localized food, Casa has live music, trivia nights and merchandise for those who consider themselves true Casa devotees.

Not all city officials consider Casa the best place to eat. Council President Chris Knisely and Councilwoman Chris Fahl especially like Salaam, 21 W. Washington St.

Knisely said her inclination toward Salaam is due to the fact that the owners are long time Athens residents.

Fahl shares the same thoughts as Knisely.

“It’s locally owned, fun and funky,” Fahl said.

Salaam focuses on dishes inspired by Middle Eastern and Mediterranean meals, while also incorporating local food. Everything is prepared in the restaurant fresh daily, including hot bread for every meal.  

Joining the authentic food train, Councilman Jeff Risner and his wife like Thai Paradise, 102 W Union St.

Risner, whose wife is Thai, considers himself an expert. He explained a lot of places have pseudo Thai, but that’s not the case here.

“It’s very authentic … This is the real stuff.” he said.

While some city officials prefer food from overseas, others have a place in their heart for local food chains.

Interim Sheriff Rodney Smith finds himself at Buffalo Wild Wings enjoying its boneless wings.

“It’s pretty good,” he said. When he doesn’t get the boneless wings, he enjoys the chicken salad with BBQ on the side.  

Smith said the sporty atmosphere alongside the food choices makes it a great place to eat.

Even with the task of running a city, officials still find time to treat their taste buds. Whether it’s Mexican, Middle Eastern, Thai food or bar food, they all hold a special place in the atmosphere that is Athens.

@Fair3Julia

Jf311013@ohio.edu