via Wikimedia Commons

Possible ballot initiative with Athens ties could legalize weed

But another legalization measure in the Statehouse is on the table, too.

Athens’ status as a college town has caught the attention of ResponsibleOhio, a political action committee based in Columbus trying to legalize marijuana in the state.

The group recently put forth a ballot initiative that, if successful, would legalize the drug for both medicinal and recreational use.

The initiative would allow several independent investors the right to oversee marijuana growth, cultivation and sale at 10 locations in Ohio, and marijuana would eventually be distributed to retailers.

Athens has at least two ties to the proposal.

Rick Kirk, the president of Hallmark Campus Communities, which owns the Summit at Coates Run, 363 Richland Ave, is one of the investors who would be able to oversee and manage growth and cultivation of marijuana.

“As an Ohio businessman and taxpayer, I have watched Ohio spend hundreds of millions of dollars on ineffective marijuana laws,” Kirk said in a ResponsibleOhio news release.

The organization also announced Monday that Athens would be one of the five counties to host a testing facility, where researchers would test for contamination and develop new uses for the drug.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="60c85234-b0aa-11e4-952f-3b9a9f4fa47e"}}

The other counties are Lorain, Mahoning, Wood and Scioto, which are specifically “situated near colleges and universities,” according to the amendment summary online.

Lydia Bolander, a spokeswoman for ResponsibleOhio, said the group released the text of its proposal and has sent it to Attorney General Mike DeWine’s office for approval.

After that, the campaign will have to collect more than 300,000 signatures to be approved by the Secretary of State’s Office.

“We’ve approached this proposal with the goal of eradicating the black market sale of marijuana,” Bolander said.

The marijuana would only be for sale to individuals 21 or older. The drug would be allowed at a reduced price if prescribed for medical purposes.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="d95bab94-b0a8-11e4-a263-ab990674f843"}}

After testing, the plants could be manufactured into edible products, or be sent to a designated retailer.

“We’re confident we will be able to thoroughly regulate the supply,” she said, adding the initiative offers adequate oversight to make marijuana legalization safe by capping growth at 10 locations.

The ResponsibleOhio amendment isn’t the only marijuana-related proposal being considered for Ohio.

One bill proposed in the Ohio House of Representatives by State Rep. Wes Retherford, would legalize prescription cannabis oil to treat seizure-inducing illnesses.

“Ohio has more than one mechanism (to pass marijuana legislation),” said State Rep. Debbie Phillips, D-Albany.

@wtperkins

wp198712@ohio.edu